Manager, Service Leadership Corps Program (New York City, NY)
New York City, NY /
Program Strategy /
At The Mission Continues, we empower veterans to continue their service and empower communities with veteran talent, skills and preparedness to generate visible impact. We’re investing in veterans, equipping them with the tools and resources to lead a growing veteran volunteer movement. Through networks, training, and pathways, veterans can continue to serve while creating meaningful impact in under-resourced communities.
The Service Leadership Corps Program Manager will play a critical role in managing one of TMC’s most innovative and forward-thinking programs. The Service Leadership Corps, which launched in October 2018, is designed to empower veterans to gain the skills and tools that they need in order to be effective community-based leaders. The SLC Program Manager will collaborate with a passionate and experienced team of professionals to create the most impactful possible programmatic experience for our veterans. The Program Manager will partner with internal and external partners to execute this program. The location for this position is flexible, but it will be highly preferred that this person is working in one of our six major locations where other TMC staff are located: Houston, Texas; Los Angeles, California; New York City, New York; Saint Louis, Missouri; Chicago, Illinois or Washington, DC. To learn more about what it means and what it takes to be a Program Manager at The Mission Continues, please click here and meet Lauren Gilmartin! Lauren is the Manager of our Women Veterans Leadership Program and wanted to share her perspective on this role as you consider applying for this position!
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
1. Team Leadership
- Manage and lead a team of 2 program Advisors who will connect with and guide program participants through the leadership program
- Develop management systems to deliver against programmatic goals (i.e. collect and review performance data)
- Collaborate cross-functionally and develop strong partnerships with others internal to TMC
- Engage in regular feedback with the Platoon Experience Team to understand participants needs to be successful
- Constantly demonstrate the fortitude to make difficult decisions while maintaining a focus on doing what’s right for our veterans
-Collaborate with the development team to advocate for our veterans and communicate programmatic results
2. Program Strategy & Design
- Partner within our team to guide the program curriculum that they will design, develop and deliver
- Provide leadership and management to the process of creating best in class participant experiences for our Corps members
- Work closely with other internal teams to develop appropriate outcomes and metrics for program success, and make smart decisions for program growth taking those observations into account
- Work closely with other program managers to share best practices and programmatic learning that will benefit internal programs
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- 8+ years of experience as a leader in the nonproﬁt, government, or private sector with experience managing a team
- Committed to our mission of bringing veterans, active duty service members, and civilians together in service to improve communities
- A demonstrated track record as a strong leader who inspires action and is motivated by empowering a team to achieve challenging goals
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to represent The Mission Continues and the Service Leadership Program externally
- Ability to generate new and innovative approaches to solve problems, drawing from the experience and input of cross-functional teams
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and general comfort with technology
- Competence with video conferencing platforms and comfortable troubleshooting with Learning Technology Specialists to provide optimal experience for participants
- You are a courageous leader and a culture add. You lead and listen with empathy and put the people you serve at the center of the work. You are an advocate for a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce. You bring a unique skill set developed from diverse experience and are willing to share your expertise and perspective with the team.
Preferred but not required:
- Military service or a strong track record of service to the military community
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience with program development and design
- Familiarity with Salesforce and learning management systems
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: (Outside of global pandemic)
Must have the ability to travel to multiple cities throughout the United States. Multi-day and/or weekend travel will be required on program event dates for in-person events, and online for virtual events. Flex time is available. There may be long days with virtual programming continuing into the evening hours. Some longer sessions may be held over the weekend.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. If you require a reasonable accommodation in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caitlin Zbikowski, Manager of Talent Acquisition & Onboarding at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! The Mission Continues recognizes that diverse employees, veterans and supporters are critical to our workforce and mission. We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all team members are valued and have the opportunity to reach their full potential. We want a team that reflects our diversity, so that we can approach every mission with integrity, compassion and authenticity. Compensation is competitive and is commensurate with experience. The Mission Continues offers exceptional medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability benefits for all team members. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.