The Mission Continues is a national organization that connects veterans with under-resourced communities in order to develop them as community leaders. We empower veterans to continue their service and give communities access to veteran talent, skills and preparedness to generate visible impact. Founded in 2007, The Mission Continues is grounded in the belief that veterans have an unwavering desire to continue serving their country, even if they can no longer do so in the military.
The Controller will lead accounting and financial oversight for The Mission Continues. The position is responsible for the accurate and timely compilation of all organizational financial information and will ensure TMC maintains appropriate policies, systems, and controls that support accountability, stewardship, and compliance with all regulatory and funding requirements. The Controller will work closely with TMC internal departments in enabling business decisions, with particular emphasis on supporting Development efforts in proposal creation and sound financial stewardship in line with accounting best practices. This is an extraordinary opportunity for a dynamic leader with ten plus years of progressively responsible accounting and financial management experience. The successful candidate will have extensive experience in accounting and audit operations, as well as skill leading decision support analysis and evaluation for executive teams, board members, and external stakeholders. The Controller will report to the Chief Operating & Financial Officer and this position will be based out of Washington, D.C.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Ensure sound accounting practices and financial discipline across a ~$15MM enterprise with operational presence in over 50 metropolitan areas.
- Assess and implement required policies, procedures and internal controls in alignment with accounting standards and principles.
- Support and enhancement of specialized accounting functions including payroll, treasury operations, accounts payable & receivable, general ledger, inventory management, investments, and grants/contracts management.
- Ensure the integrity of all financial transactions, coordinate consistent and compliant recording of transactions throughout monthly/closing periods, and oversee the implementation and effectiveness of internal controls.
- Prepare monthly consolidated GAAP financial statements and other internal financial reporting as needed.
- Lead the preparation and support for TMC’s annual financial statement audit, IRS Form 990 filing, and other regulatory reporting requirements.
- Assess, document and implement procedures for effective allocation of organizational resources.
- Direct ongoing business process assessments and implement improvements to procedures, controls, and tools that result in greater operating efficiencies and cost savings.
- Manage balance sheet reporting to inform CFO and other senior leadership of liquidity and working capital needs in context of TMC financial forecasts.
- Collaborate with Technology team to enhance financial systems including accounting, budgeting, expense reporting, file storage and document retention.
- Support operational aspects of TMC’s annual budgeting & planning process; leadership role in the review of budget submissions and ensuring tools & software enable accuracy and effectiveness in budget creation
- Regularly monitor department performance to budget targets and assure compliance with budgetary limits and grant/contract obligations.
- Ensure accurate use and reporting of restricted fund obligations.
- Working with the CFO, define and monitor appropriate key performance indicators (KPIs), dashboard summaries, ROI assessments, trend analysis, and other required financial and business analysis.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- 10+ years of progressive accounting and financial management experience, preferably within a non-profit organization with multiple donor-funded programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field; CPA required
- Strong business analysis, performance monitoring, compliance management, and financial reporting skills.
- Organizational budgeting experience.
- Extensive experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development, accounts payable/receivable, general ledger, and payroll.
- Exceptional analytic, organization and problem solving skills enabling strategic data interpretation and forecasting.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with ability to clearly convey complex financial issues to different audiences; problem solve and collaborate with cross functional team members.
- Preferred experience with Sage Intacct software for accounting and financial reporting.
- A passion for bringing veterans and communities together through service.
- Military service is a plus
- Advanced degree in accounting or finance
Must have the ability to travel, with advanced notice/planning, to cities within the United States for team and org-wide events 5-7 times per year. Multi-day and/or weekend travel will be required for some event dates. Flex time is available.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. If you require a reasonable accommodation in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caitlin Zbikowski, Manager of Talent Acquisition & Onboarding at email@example.com.}
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! Please APPLY by Tuesday, January 21st, 2020! Compensation is competitive and is commensurate with experience. The Mission Continues offers exceptional medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability benefits for all full-time team