City Impact Manager - Pittsburgh
At The Mission Continues, we empower veterans to continue their service and empower communities with veteran talent, skills and preparedness to generate visible impact. We’re investing in veterans, equipping them with the tools and resources to lead a growing veteran volunteer movement. Through networks, training, and pathways, veterans can continue to serve while creating meaningful impact in under-resourced communities.
Interest in our ‘double impact’ model is at an all time high. In an increasingly polarized and online country, there is a need and desire for social impact models that connect people in person. Veterans possess the drive and desire to serve others, but without access to the tools and networks needed, their potential to make meaningful impact at the local level remains untapped. On the other end of the spectrum, there are a growing number of communities that are excluded from resources, development and opportunity that are prime contexts for local leadership, service and impact. The Mission Continues brings these two sectors together - community revitalization and veteran engagement - creating the structure and opportunity for veterans to design and lead truly impactful community service projects.
By 2021, the end state for TMC’s strategic plan is anchored by four objectives:
1) 1,000 veteran leaders mobilized, developed and trained
2) 80 community-focused operations established and thriving
3) 70,000 veteran and community members activated in service
4) 2M+ citizens influenced and impacted
We are seeking a City Impact Manager who is driven by building relationships with local and national organizations in the Pittsburgh region. City Impact Managers build strong, action-oriented relationships with veterans, foundations, nonprofit partners, civic and business leaders, and other veteran organizations with two purposes - to create long lasting change in Pittsburgh and to engage veterans in service opportunities.
In Pittsburgh, we have developed a neighborhood-based model where veteran-led platoons have fostered a diverse array of partnerships and have earned a great deal of trust across the city. Your role will be to build on our past success to elevate and expand our impact beyond our current state.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Strengthen existing relationships and build new ones with local non-profits, foundations, colleges, and government agencies for long term strategies that achieve long lasting impact in your assigned communities.
- Train, mentor, and coach volunteer veteran leaders and hold teams accountable for achieving goals, providing guidance and resources to help them along the way.
- Build networks to recruit, select, and mentor volunteer leaders (Platoon Leadership team) who pledge a year of service towards tackling local problems.
- Steward and strengthen relationships with local corporate partners, foundations and individual donors, primarily by engaging them in volunteer service projects.
- Research community needs working at the grassroots level, with local civic leaders, neighborhood associations and high impact community development organizations.
- Collaborate with other veteran service organizations to ensure that The Mission Continues continues to be a relevant partner in the overall Pittsburgh ecosystem of veteran services and resulting in collective impact.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Passionate individual who can bring together a diverse array of individuals and groups to make an impact and strengthen communities
- Self-starter who can build programs-with significant autonomy, good judgment, creativity and a focus on results
- Experienced professional in the social sector or an ability to inspire and manage volunteers
- A person who is well-known and respected in their city with deep local context and connections
- Public relations and/or recruiting experience, with the ability to build new networks of volunteers, donors, and nonprofit partners
- Must be flexible and able to work evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Willing to travel at least once per month
- Military service a plus
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience in community-facing organization a plus
- Familiarity with Salesforce and Microsoft Office suite
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! Please APPLY by 5/8. Compensation is competitive and is commensurate with experience. The Mission Continues offers exceptional medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability benefits for all full-time team members. In addition to these benefits, full-time staff members will have the opportunity to work from home once a week and you are 100% vested after your first year. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.