Research Analyst Intern - Community Impact
St. Louis, MO
The Mission Continues is a national nonprofit organization founded in 2007, we are on a mission to connect veterans with under-resourced communities. We’re empowering veterans to continue their service, while empowering communities with the talent, skills and preparedness of veterans to generate visible impact. The Mission Continues has been recognized by the Draper Richards Foundation as one of the country's most socially innovative non-profit organizations.
This summer, The Mission Continues is offering an exciting opportunity to aspiring young professionals across the country to serve with our team! Interns will be empowered to build upon their current skill set, gain leadership experience and develop a new network through our Summer Internship Program. We are looking for college-level students, or recent graduates, that are passionate about civic leadership and veteran empowerment. Have other obligations this summer (i.e. working part-time somewhere else)? Traveling to Europe for two weeks? That’s fine! We’re flexible and can discuss schedules later.
You should know that we have five core values at The Mission Continues and we expect our interns to adhere to each one this summer: Work Hard, Trust, Learn & Grow, Respect and especially, Have Fun! We want you to grow personally and professionally, but at the same time, find great joy through our mission and programs. After you serve with us, our hope is that you continue serving in your community and empower others to follow your lead!
The Research & Program Evaluation Team examines the impact that The Mission Continues has on program participants and the communities in which we operate. This team covers all aspects of survey development, data collection, analysis and reporting. This summer, the Research & Program Evaluation Team is seeking two Research Analyst Interns; one internship will be geared towards community impact, and the other will be focused on veteran impact. Both interns will help strengthen the impact of the research team by participating in the data and reporting process that will contribute to strengthening our impact in communities and veterans throughout the country. For the Research Analyst Internship - Community Impact position, you will report to the Research & Evaluation Manager and this position will be based out of our St. Louis office. This is an hourly position and you will be expected to work on a part-time 20 hours/week. $18-25 per hour, depending on experience.
The Research and Evaluation Team helped develop and implement a new organizational framework, the Empowered Veterans Index. Part of the framework relies on consistent program evaluation and assessing the outcomes outlined in the framework. As we eye 2020, we are embarking on an ambitious plan to provide all of our programs with information to strengthen and improve programming as it relates to the Empowered Veteran Index, as a framework and evaluation tool. Community impact is one of the three pillars in our Empowered Veteran Index - your efforts will help inform the ways in which we will maximize our impact in communities both short term and long term.
A successful candidate for this role will be pursuing or has a master’s degree in a topic that is complementary to impacting long-term change regarding populations, communities, or policies (e.g., public policy, public administration, social work, community development, community leadership, community work, etc.). Bachelor’s degree + experience will also be considered.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work closely with the Manager, Research & Evaluation to participate in the collection, analysis, and review of research and evaluation data
- Assist in the review of our progress to-date and identify themes and trends regarding our nationwide impact in communities
- Co-write one of our quarterly community impact reports that will inform how we can better contribute to making long-term sustainable changes in communities
- Develop spreadsheets and databases to support cross-functional projects with various teams
- Conduct literature reviews to support projects and proposals that will help inform evolving best practices in making a positive impact in communities
- Synthesize information and data gained through community partner surveys
- Identify themes from field interviews and help prepare a report that will contribute to strengthening our volunteers’ knowledge and experience in serving in communities
- Attend and support one service project with your local platoon
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- A passionate individual who is excited to position The Mission Continues at the forefront of the national service movement
- Experienced in both qualitative and quantitative research (higher priority: quantitative research)
- Familiar with large data sets, including data cleaning, analysis and reporting
- Background in community development, community impact, collective impact, or social impact research
- Professional communication skills
- Has a passion for contributing to long-term positive change and working with veterans by using data and research to drive positive social change
- Strong writing and data management skills with the ability to critically understand and interpret complex data sets
- Military service is a plus
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other donor database system is a plus
- Prior experience working with diverse populations
- Experience with Qualtrics
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! Please APPLY by 3/27. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.