Director of Digital Communications Strategy
Houston, Texas; Los Angeles, California; New York City, New York; St. Louis, Missouri; Chicago, Illinois; Washington, DC
The Mission Continues is a national organization that connects veterans with under-resourced communities in order to develop them as community leaders. We empower veterans to continue their service and give communities access to veteran talent, skills and preparedness to generate visible impact. Founded in 2007, The Mission Continues is grounded in the belief that veterans have an unwavering desire to continue serving their country, even if they can no longer do so in the military.
The Director of Digital Communications Strategy will lead The Mission Continues communications strategy across the The Mission Continues’ digital channels including the website, blog, email marketing, and social media. This is a new position that will report to the Senior Director of External Affairs. In this role, you will manage a digital team to design and implement innovative solutions to move our mission forward and meet our communications goals for veteran engagement, fundraising, advocacy and brand awareness. The right candidate has a growth-oriented mindset, is comfortable operating in a “start-up” environment, and is passionate about using technology to bring people together and help solve complex problems.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Lead and develop a digital communications team responsible for TMC social media, email marketing, website, video content, blog and other digital storytelling channels.
- Lead digital fundraising strategy and execution, leveraging TMC channels to steward existing donors and increase our network of individual donors.
- Direct all aspects of design, development and content creation of TMC website and digital communications platforms ensuring that they are unified, organized, on-brand, updated, search engine optimized, and compliant with marketing and business best practices.
- Develop and implement a data-driven strategic plan for future digital communications growth and priorities to deliver maximum reach, impressions and engagement; develop measurement plan to ensure goals are tracked and communicated across stakeholders.
- Source, guide and manage multiple external vendors and suppliers; including building RFPs, contract negotiation, budget allocations, and performance assessment as needed.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to guide and train TMC staff, including executive leadership, and volunteers on best practices in digital communications.
- Manage budget development and allocation to support internal and external resources to support strategy.
- Contributes to the strategic planning for the Communications team in support of veteran engagement, fundraising, advocacy and brand awareness.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- 8 to 10 years of relevant work experience or combination of education and work experience.
- Experience in digital communications with increasing levels of responsibility in website development and content management (WordPress), social media, email marketing, SEO, digital advertising and analytics.
- Experience managing a team of professionals with varying degrees of experience in communications roles.
- Outstanding writing, copy-writing and editing skills.
- Proven experience communicating complex issues in common terms to multiple audiences.
- A master collaborator who can work across teams in a fluid environment to lead a project to completion.
- Creative and innovative project development experience, demonstrating the ability to match personal vision with institutional priorities and strategic initiatives.
- A passion for bringing veterans and communities together through service.
Must have the ability to travel, with advanced notice/planning, to cities within the United States for team and org-wide events 5-7 times per year. Multi-day and/or weekend travel will be required for some event dates. Flex time is available.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. If you require a reasonable accommodation in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caitlin Zbikowski, Manager of Talent Acquisition & Onboarding at firstname.lastname@example.org.}
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! Please APPLY by Wednesday, January 8th, 2020! Compensation is competitive and is commensurate with experience. The Mission Continues offers exceptional medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability benefits for all full-time team members. In addition to these benefits, full-time staff members will have the opportunity to work from home once a week and you are 100% vested after your first year. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.