Manager, Grant Writing
Position can be located in: Houston; Los Angeles; New York; St. Louis; Chicago; Washington, DC
The Mission Continues is a national nonprofit organization founded in 2007 to empower veterans who are adjusting to life at home to find purpose through community impact. We believe that community service can provide a renewed sense of purpose, restore social connections, and create new opportunities for civic impact. The Mission Continues has been recognized by the Draper Richards Foundation as one of the country's most socially innovative non-profit organizations.
The Development Team is seeking a Manager, Grant Writing to be our lead grant writer for foundation, corporate, and individual/family foundation grant proposals and reports. To sustain our work and increase our impact for the longer term, we are deepening programs and seeking local, multi-year funding in forty priority cities. With this strategy and our ongoing commitment to evaluation, we are building up local foundation support in our shared communities, as well as major national foundation investments. We also have a strong flow of proposals and reports for corporate partnerships. This position will report to the Director of Grants and Foundation Relations, and work with our Manager of Corporate Partnerships and Grants Administrator, to manage a robust pipeline of well-articulated proposals and reports to support new business development and renewals for existing donors.
The ideal candidate for this position is someone who loves to write with vision and precision, has experience creating successful proposals for a variety of funding opportunities, and is comfortable working in a fast-paced, innovative, start-up environment. This role will develop an in-depth understanding of The Mission Continues’ strategic plan, initiatives and programs in order to contribute to the organization’s success. The location for this position is flexible across our six core office locations—Los Angeles, CA; Washington, DC; Chicago, IL; New York, NY; St. Louis, MO and Houston, TX.
What You Will Do
- Maintain deep knowledge of the interests and expectations of our major foundation funders
- Collaborate with regional and functional teams to gather information and create compelling narratives and budgets to support proposal and report development
- Ensure high-quality, professional submissions, including strong writing and proofreading
- Drive adherence to best practices and collaborate with Grants Administrator and others to ensure continuous improvement of proposals and reports
- Work with Grants Administrator to ensure all proposal opportunities and documentation are properly logged in Salesforce and reporting deadlines are tracked
- Conduct prospect research to identify new foundation funding opportunities that align with our mission, initiatives and programs
- Generate ideas and take a proactive approach to enhancing our grant proposal writing, tracking and reporting process
- Opportunity to travel to The Mission Continues’ national events to witness our work first-hand, and thus, be better equipped to communicate our impact in writing
Who We Are Looking For
- Superior written communication and editing skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive proposals while aligning with funder priorities
- 3+ years of grant proposal writing experience for a high-volume non-profit development department, resulting in successful six-figure grants
- Highly organized with the ability to meet hard and frequent deadlines, and to nimbly manage competing priorities
- Experience and comfort with budgets and quantitative data
- Collegial team player who can manage laterally and upwards, with a collaborative but clear approach
- Knowledge of foundations; how they operate and the fundamentals of successful relationship building in this sector
- Fluency with online grant systems (e.g. Cybergrants) and Microsoft Office suite
- A passion and commitment to serving this generation of veterans
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience proposal writing for veterans causes and/or under-resourced communities
- Proficiency in Salesforce
- Management experience
Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered. If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! Please APPLY by 12/5.
Compensation is competitive and is commensurate with experience. The Mission Continues offers exceptional medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability benefits for all full-time team members. In addition to these benefits, full-time staff members will have the opportunity to work from home once a week and you are 100% vested after your first year. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.