Manager, National Events
Position can be located in: Houston; Los Angeles; New York; St. Louis; Chicago; Washington, DC
The Mission Continues is a national nonprofit organization founded in 2007, to empower veterans who are adjusting to life at home to find purpose through community impact. We believe that community service can provide a renewed sense of purpose, restore social connections, and create new opportunities for civic impact. The Mission Continues has been recognized by the Draper Richards Foundation as one of the country's most socially innovative non-profit organizations.
The Manager, National Events will support the successful planning and execution of national events across the country with The Mission Continues. Our events are the most high-profile expression of our brand—and this role is essential to ensuring impactful experiences for our program participants and team. The ideal candidate has the ability to work with various leaders to ensure that strategic plans and priorities are showcased when managing each event. The ideal candidate will have the ability to manage multiple demands under pressure, pay strong attention to detail, be organized, a team player and very professional – yet personable.
We are looking for a highly effective planner, project manager, and collaborator who can execute high-level events, which highlight The Mission Continues culture and impact on veterans and communities. This position is ideal for someone who is systems-oriented with proven event management experience looking to take the next step to grow their skills and impact at a fast-paced national non-profit. They will also demonstrate a passion and commitment to helping veterans and communities reach their potential.
This position will report to the Director, National Events and will work directly with multiple departments within the organization. The location for this position is flexible across our six core office locations— Los Angeles, CA; Washington, DC; Chicago, IL; New York, NY; St. Louis, MO and Houston, TX (Los Angeles is preferred).
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Draft internal and external departmental communication
- Research prospective venues and vendors
- Secure quotes and create comparison sheets for catering, equipment rental, and audio visual needs
- Coordinate logistics, timelines, and schedules including housing, transportation and travel itineraries for up to 150 attendees
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers on proper event procedures
- Work with National Events Associate to ensure all department and event needs are met
- Perform event-related administration and reporting including tracking event registration and guest lists, internal status and meeting updates, event metrics, invoice tracking and additional duties, as required
- Lead check in and provide support to event participants
- Serve as catering and vendor point of contact
- Prepare check in lists, name tags, seating cards, gift bags, etc.
- Oversee set-up, breakdown of event materials and signage inventory
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- 4-6 years of event planning experience in a related industry
- Demonstrated success in managing events, multiple priorities and resources with minimal supervision
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills
- Good judgment and strong ability to set priorities, solve problems and be resourceful under pressure
- Must be flexible and available to work early/extended work days, weekends and/or travel, as required
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint required
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Familiarity with Salesforce
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires: constant sitting or standing, walking, lifting up to 30 lbs and a valid driver's license.
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! Please APPLY by 4/15.
Compensation is competitive and is commensurate with experience. The Mission Continues offers exceptional medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability benefits for all full-time team members. In addition to these benefits, full-time staff members will have the opportunity to work from home once a week and you are 100% vested after your first year. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.