Distributed Systems Engineer
Anywhere in the USA
Research & Development
Are you interested in scalability & distributed systems? Do you want to help shape a discovery engine powered by cutting edge technologies and machine learning at scale? If you answered yes to the above questions, then Mix's Research and Development is the team for you!
In this role, you'll be part of a small and innovative team comprised of engineers and data scientists working together to understand content by leveraging machine learning and NLP technologies. You will have the opportunity to work on core problems like detection of low-quality content or spam, text semantic analysis, video and image processing, content quality assessment and monitoring. Our code operates at massive scale, ingesting, processing and indexing millions of URLs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Write code to build infrastructure which is capable of scaling based on load.
- Collaborate with engineers and data scientists to integrate innovative Machine Learning and NLP techniques with our serving, cloud and data infrastructure.
- Automate build and deployment processes and setup monitoring and alerting systems.
- Participate in the engineering life-cycle, including writing documentation and conducting code reviews.
- Strong knowledge of algorithms, data structures, object-oriented programming, and distributed systems.
- Fluency in at least 2 OO programming languages, such as Scala (preferred), Java, C, C++, Python.
- 3+ years demonstrated expertise in stream processing platforms like Apache Flink, Apache Storm, and Apache Kafka.
- 2+ years experience with Amazon Web Services.
- 2+ years experience with monitoring frameworks, and analyzing production platforms, UNIX servers and mission-critical systems with alerting and self-healing systems.
- Creative thinker and self-starter.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience with Hadoop, Hive, Spark or other MapReduce solutions.
- Knowledge of statistics or machine learning.
Working with passionate and awesome folks? Check. Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance? Check. Competitive salary and meaningful equity. Check. Also, we offer a 401k savings plan (with company match!) and an open PTO policy.
Mix is building the next-generation content discovery experience to:
* Cut through the noise and quickly access content that matters
* Collect and curate content into unique collections
* Discover interesting experts and build communities around your shared interests
We have a passion for making the internet feel a little bit smaller by connecting people with similar interests and topics on Mix. When you create collections, save URLs you love, and follow topics, interests or people, your feeds on Mix adapt to show you more of what you’re actually interested in, and less of what you’re not.
We are located in the SOMA area of San Francisco, close to all sorts of public transportation. While we have remote team members, our SF headquarters office is stocked with healthy snacks and creative atmosphere.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To all recruitment agencies: Mix does not accept agency resumes at this time. Please do not forward resumes to our hiring alias, Mix employees or any other company location. Mix is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.