Senior Backend Engineer / Architect (Python)
Los Angeles /
Modern Animal is building next-generation veterinary care. Our mission is to leverage technology to improve the lives of pets, pet parents, and the healthcare partners that take care of them. We are well-funded by top-tier venture capital firms (including Founders Fund, True Ventures, and Upfront Ventures) and have an experienced entrepreneurial team from both the veterinary industry and leading companies and brands like Uber and Allbirds. If you love animals, small teams, and innovative design, this is the role for you! This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground floor and build a company from scratch.
Our current stack is Python and React. But we are looking to add components in Swift/Kotlin, Go, and Node in the near future. We are open to hearing about your ideas on technology and roadmap for the future.
Role and Responsibility
You’ll be a member of a small cross-functional team working on building out software for our customers, veterinarians, and technicians. You will help with building and maintaining our back-end, CI, and cloud infrastructure. You’ll build out the backend APIs and systems that power on customer facing software. You’ll also help with writing automated tests, helping peer review code, help spec out API requirements, and mentor other members of the tech team.
- Experience writing Python or similar language (GoLang, etc.)
- Experience writing intermediate level SQL
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (ie, AWS, Terraform, Kubernetes)
- Desire to do truly “full-stack” work, including DevOps
- Ability to occasionally participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation
- History of writing clean, readable code and unit tests (examples of works such as a portfolio on GitHub is a strong plus)
- Ability to thoroughly spec, defining, and document both RESTful and GraphQL APIs
- 5+ years relevant experience
- Proven track record of collaborating on a team on large-scale projects
- BS/MS in Computer science or equivalent proficiency
- Ability to pass a technical interview
Remote work during COVID and pet Friendly, brand new office when it ends
Small teams - own your own projects
Dictate architectural and design decisions
Excellent health insurance (both for you and your pet) and other benefits
Flexible hours, work-from-home, and vacation – take time off when you need it
Get in on the ground floor of a fast-growing startup!