Director of Merchandising
San Francisco, CA
Modsy is a fast growing, San Francisco-based startup that is reinventing the way we design and shop for our homes. Leveraging ground-breaking 3D technology and a seamless consumer experience, Modsy guides you through a few simple steps to capture, redesign, and transform your home. You receive back a catalog quality lifelike version of your room rendered in 3D that is fully shoppable based on your style, budget, and functional needs. The future of home design and furniture buying is changing and Modsy is leading the way.
About the Role
As the Director of Merchandising, you will report to the VP of Marketplace, and be an integral part of the Marketplace team. You will aid in the creation of Modsy’s merchandising strategy and partner across the organization to bring it to life while delivering against financial targets. You will lead a small but mighty merchandising team, building out new capabilities and approaches to establish Modsy as a best in class one stop shop design service and marketplace.
The ideal candidate will have a background in merchandising, buying and/or category management, with a knowledge of the home category, and ecommerce, and/or innovative retail experience. Passionate about people, product and leveraging technology and data to drive a better client experience, this strategic thinker with a strong analytical background must align with Modsy’s core values and be superior at leading high performing teams.
You’ll be excited about this role because you will:
- Build/Lead Modsy’s merchandising function ensuring the right people, processes, and tools are in place to support business growth and data driven decision making
- Ensure overall company financial goals are achieved by owning the category to company financial plan and forecast
- Drive to achieve or exceed revenue and gross margin targets by optimizing the assortment, pricing, and shopping experience
- Set assortment targets and work in close partnership with the Director of Sourcing/Product Development to source and develop product ensuring customer needs and financial targets are met
- Ensure Modsy’s assortment offers customers (via designers) a compelling assortment of products across a wide range of styles, brands, and budgets to meet their needs
- Partner with Design Services, Product and Engineering teams to drive design product placement, product discovery and website product relevance strategies
- Establish scalable merchandising and pricing strategies that helps Modsy achieve customer and financial goals over time
- Establish a compelling commercial plan in partnership with marketing, finance, and operations to ensure we are positioned to capture sales in a competitive retail environment.
- Manage all aspects of the merchandising function including but not limited to - sharing out business results, assortment/catalog effectiveness, pricing and promotional strategy/execution, reporting and analysis, etc.
- Drive operational excellence of the team
- Develop and grow direct reports to support their career aspirations and best selves
- Create and foster a collaborative, innovative, and results-oriented team culture
We’ll be excited about you because your experience and qualifications include:
- A Bachelor’s degree; MBA is a plus
- 10+ years of experience in a merchandising, buying, or category management capacity working for an innovative retailer or ecommerce company
- A demonstrated track record of building an ecommerce businesses
- Experience building a merchandising team and function
- Strong strategic and analytical abilities
- A demonstrated ability to seamlessly zoom in and out of details; comfortable digging into data and details while simultaneously driving the business at a strategic level
- Knowledge of the home category is essential
- A proven ability to build teams and functions in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- A proven ability to develop strong working relationships with cross functional partners
- The ability to influence and drive results cross functionally in a way that enriches the company's culture and overall team performance
- A passion for data driven, client centric decision making
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation and problem solving skills
- A track record of driving business insights, actions, and accountability across organizations]
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed (0-20%)
Modsy has raised $71M in funding from TCV, AVP, Norwest, GV, NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, Comcast Ventures, Birchmere Ventures, and BBG.