Oakland, California /
Molten Industries' mission is to decarbonize the world's petrochemical and heavy industries. We are commercializing breakthrough technology to make clean, low-cost hydrogen. Heavy industry (cement, steel, chemicals, fertilizer) currently emits over 10 Gt-CO2 per year, making up over 20% of global CO2 emissions. Low-cost and clean hydrogen has the potential to mitigate emissions from heavy industrial sectors, enabling carbon-neutral or carbon-negative fertilizer, steel, cement, fuel, and petrochemical production.
Molten started in 2021 out of a garage at Stanford and is backed by top-tier venture capital firms and a world-class advisory board. We believe in using our talents for the most meaningful work of our lives - mitigating the effects of climate change. We want to do the kind of work that you can write home about. The work that you’ll tell your grandkids about. Engineering feats, growth miracles, and rock-solid, real-world change. At Molten we believe in dreaming big, working with urgency, and getting our hands dirty.
Join us in our effort to push the final frontier of decarbonization.
As a core member of Molten’s early team, you will participate in the design and build out of chemical reactors and supporting systems to produce clean hydrogen using our proprietary technology. You will help design, build, evaluate, and test new ideas and setups as we scale from our bench-top prototype to industrial plants. You are a scrappy self-starter with a bias to action. You enjoy being hands-on and building physical systems, and you are comfortable translating complex problems into achievable goals. You are eager to play a key role in the fight against climate change.
What you will do
- Design, build, and run hydrogen production experiments on bench-top and pilot scale systems
- Hack, build, and troubleshoot physical prototypes for quick feedback loops and testing
- Work closely with a small technical founding team to push our hydrogen production technology from bench-top to industrial scale
What you will bring
- Working towards a BS / MS / PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, or Electrical Engineering (or equivalent)
- Hands-on experience in prior internships, projects, classes, or hobbies is essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
You do not need to have every listed skill to be a great fit! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to help our team succeed, please apply!
- Startup experience or experience in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of machine shop fabrication processes and machine building
- Experience in 2D/3D CAD modeling (e.g. SolidWorks)
- Experience with electrical drawings and designs
- Experience with finite element analysis modeling
- Experience with fluid and thermal modeling
- Experience with Aspen Systems modeling or equivalent
- Experience with data collection, management, and visualization systems using software such as Python or Matlab
Perks and Benefits
Competitive hourly wage
Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Molten
Flexible time off