Founding Engineering Technician
Oakland, California /
Molten Industries' mission is to decarbonize the world's petrochemical and heavy industries. We are commercializing breakthrough technology to make clean, low-cost hydrogen. Heavy industry (cement, steel, chemicals, fertilizer) currently emits over 10 Gt-CO2 per year, making up over 20% of global CO2 emissions. Low-cost and clean hydrogen has the potential to mitigate emissions from heavy industrial sectors, enabling carbon-neutral or carbon-negative fertilizer, steel, cement, fuel, and petrochemical production.
Molten started in 2021 out of a garage at Stanford and is backed by top-tier venture capital firms and a world-class advisory board. We believe in using our talents for the most meaningful work of our lives - mitigating the effects of climate change. We want to do the kind of work that you can write home about. The work that you’ll tell your grandkids about. Engineering feats, growth miracles, and rock-solid, real-world change. At Molten we believe in dreaming big, working with urgency, and getting our hands dirty.
Join us in our effort to push the final frontier of decarbonization.
As a core member of Molten’s early team, you will lead the build, operations, and maintenance of critical tools, jigs, equipment, and reactors to produce clean hydrogen using our proprietary technology. You will help build, operate, and test new ideas and setups as we scale from our bench-top prototype to industrial plants. You will wear a variety of hats and are excited by work that spans mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering. You are a scrappy self-starter with a bias to action. You enjoy being hands-on and building physical systems, and you are comfortable translating complex problems into achievable goals. You are eager to play a key role in the fight against climate change.
What you will do
- Build reactor prototypes and test rigs for systems ranging from bench-top R&D scale to industrial pilots
- Fabricate and assemble new equipment from prototypes to production
- Develop equipment documentation for operation and maintenance
- Perform rework of mechanical assemblies and electrical enclosures
- Field installation of new machines and retrofitting existing production equipment
- Manage and organize the mechanical and electrical shop workspace including purchasing and maintaining inventory of parts
- Work closely with a small technical founding team to push our hydrogen production technology from bench-top to industrial scale
What you will bring
- 5+ years of industry experience, closely working with engineers and engineering specifications
- Excellent hands on mechanical and electrical assembly skills
- Strong troubleshooting skills for electronic and mechanical systems
- Ability to read electrical wiring diagrams and mechanical assembly drawings
- Experience operating and maintaining relays, pumps, motors, compressors, and other basic industrial power components
- Experience with plumbing and electrical routing
- Safety oriented individual with experience operating and maintaining high temperature systems, high pressure systems and high voltage systems
You do not need to have every listed skill to be a great fit! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to help our team succeed, please apply!
- Experience with ceramics - coatings and fabrication - Double Bonus!
- Metal fabrication and machine shop experience
- Welding, anchoring, rigging, and other related experience
- Experience working with mechanical and electrical CAD software
- Experience working with hydrogen systems
- Proficiency reading and redlining P&IDs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Perks and Benefits
Meaningful equity compensation
Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Molten
Generous 401k matching program
Flexible time off