Founding Mechanical Engineer
Oakland, California /
Molten Industries' mission is to decarbonize the world's petrochemical and heavy industries. We are commercializing breakthrough technology to make clean, low-cost hydrogen. Heavy industry (cement, steel, chemicals, fertilizer) currently emits over 10 Gt-CO2 per year, making up over 20% of global CO2 emissions. Low-cost and clean hydrogen has the potential to mitigate emissions from heavy industrial sectors, enabling carbon-neutral or carbon-negative fertilizer, steel, cement, fuel, and petrochemical production.
Molten started in 2021 out of a garage at Stanford and is backed by top-tier venture capital firms and a world-class advisory board. We believe in using our talents for the most meaningful work of our lives - mitigating the effects of climate change. We want to do the kind of work that you can write home about. The work that you’ll tell your grandkids about. Engineering feats, growth miracles, and rock-solid, real-world change. At Molten we believe in dreaming big, working with urgency, and getting our hands dirty.
Join us in our effort to push the final frontier of decarbonization.
As a core member of Molten’s early team, you will lead the design and build out of reactors and mechanical systems to produce clean hydrogen using our proprietary technology. You will help design, engineer, specify, procure, build, and test new ideas and setups as we scale from our bench-top prototype to industrial plants. You will wear a variety of hats and are excited by work that spans mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering. You are a scrappy self-starter with a bias to action. You enjoy being hands-on and building physical systems, and you are comfortable translating complex problems into achievable goals. You are eager to play a key role in the fight against climate change.
What you will do
- Use 3D tools to design, build, and test our breakthrough hydrogen production technology
- Hack, build, and troubleshoot physical prototypes for quick feedback loops and testing
- Independently create engineering models and drawings for parts that you will source from suppliers
- Perform engineering calculations to validate equipment and tool designs
- Work closely with a small technical founding team to push our hydrogen production technology from bench-top to industrial scale
What you will bring
- We are looking for candidates with different experience levels ranging from 2 to 10+ years of experience
- BS / MS in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent)
- Expert in 2D/3D CAD modeling (e.g. SolidWorks)
- Skilled in creating detailed engineering drawings, with strong knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
- Strong technical fundamentals in fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and structural analysis
- Experience with coding and design of control systems and electronics
- Working knowledge of machine shop fabrication processes and machine building
- Experience working directly with suppliers to procure parts with blazing fast lead times
- Hands-on experience is essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
You do not need to have every listed skill to be a great fit! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to help our team succeed, please apply!
- Startup experience or experience in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with electrical drawings and designs
- Experience designing for 24/7 industrial use, with safety and reliability at the forefront
- Experience designing, engineering, and building chemical reactors or other chemical plant or semiconductor production equipment
- Knowledge of pyrolysis, reforming, gasification or other thermal conversion processes
- Experience with solids, fluid handling, solid gas separation, and associated equipment
- Experience with compressors and pumps
- Experience with hydrogen or carbon black production processes
- Experience with finite element analysis modeling
Perks and Benefits
Meaningful equity compensation
Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Molten
Generous 401k matching program
Flexible time off