Embedded Engineering Intern
Software & Electronics Team
About Momentum Machines:
Founded in 2009 and located in San Francisco’s South of Market neighborhood, Momentum Machines is a small collective of food lovers and engineers with decades of robotics and restaurant experience. In the past five-plus years, we’ve solved many difficult engineering and manufacturing challenges, helped each other grow, and built a beautiful and amazing device.
Our first device makes gourmet burgers from scratch. Not only do we literally grind the meat to order, we also slice tomatoes, onions, pickles, and a brioche roll fresh for you. Accented by an infinitely personalizable variety of produce, seasonings, and sauces, you can get exactly what you’re craving. Serving a burger this great at such affordable prices would be impossible without culinary automation.
We’re building an engineering-focused group of analytic and creative individuals. The team consists of roboticists from institutions including Berkeley and Stanford and firms like Tesla and NASA. Our culinary teams are veterans of Chez Panisse and Fat Duck. Our advisors include experts across fields like engineering, culinary, design, intellectual property, and even a NRN Restaurant Operator of the Year Award winner. Additionally, we’re further advised and supported by some of the top investors in the Silicon Valley.
- A problem solver: You relish the opportunity to debug new or unfamiliar problems. You balance equal parts rigor and creativity. You know when to trust your intuition and when to start from first principles.
- A quick learner: You look for opportunities to pick up new technical skills and soak them up like a sponge. You have knowledge gaps (we all do!), but you know when to rely on your peers, textbooks, or StackOverflow in order to fill them.
- Self-driven: You set ambitious goals and meet them consistently. You deliver on your promises to others and yourself. You might have a corner of your garage full of completed personal projects.
- Cross disciplinary: You have experience writing embedded software, bringing up microcontrollers, laying out PCBs, and interfacing with common sensors & actuators. You have the communication skills to collaborate effectively with mechanical, electrical, and software engineers.
- Work across teams: Design and build electronics that validate new hardware with the electrical and embedded software teams. Work with mechanical engineers and fabricators to design and build robust mechanical test fixtures.
- Take projects from start to finish: Prototype, design, and execute validation test plans for electronic and mechatronic hardware.
- Design & build PCBs: Use industry standard EDA software to do schematic capture & PCB layout, from prototypes to final designs.
- Write prototype software: Use and contribute to the software that helps us test and prototype faster. Write scripts and programs to automate the process of validating new electronics.
Please include in your application a resume and cover letter addressing why you think it would be good for us to collaborate.
Momentum Machines doesn’t discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We’re committed to being a team that reflects a broad range of experience, thought, geography, age, background, gender, sexual orientation, language, culture and many other characteristics.