Senior Mechanical Engineer
About Momentum Machines:
Backed by Khosla & Google Ventures, we're a robotics company aiming to revolutionize the dining experience. Right now, we've created a robot that makes fresh gourmet food with high-quality ingredients from scratch. You’d join a team from institutions including Berkeley and Stanford and firms like Tesla and NASA, alongside our culinary team, which contains veterans of Chez Panisse and Fat Duck.
When you’re doing something nobody has ever done before, the old ways can frequently come up short. At Momentum Machines, you’ll get the opportunity to be creative, to try, to fail, to learn and to succeed. You will have an appetite for risk, because that’s how we leap ahead together.
- An experienced mechanical engineer: Experience with the full cycle - conceptualization to design to release to redesign of electromechanical devices.
- CAD Savvy: You have extensive experience with 3D modeling and print making. Others would consider you to have strong technical CAD skills. Bonus points if you’re solid with Solidworks or capable with CATIA.
- Biased towards action: Instead of waiting for detailed instructions to come to you, you seek out information and ask for advice from stakeholders. After that, you’re off to making stuff happen.
- A coach: You are practiced at giving engineering design feedback. Your goals are for the team to have the best possible design and for your teammates to grow as engineers. You should have a growth mindset about yourself and your peers.
- A great juggler: Solid history of solving complex problems while being able to work collaboratively while handling multiple projects on various timelines - this includes working with junior engineers to help them complete their projects. Actual juggling is always a plus.
- Collaborative: You can clearly express your needs and timelines and you actively listen for others’ needs and timelines. You are diligent about communicating with stakeholders about meeting and missing deadlines.
- Define projects: Work with our product managers to identify product requirements and then distill them into technical and functional design requirements.
- Design stuff: Use CAD, FEA, prototyping and other techniques to design the future of food.
- DFM/A, a little: Work with manufacturing experts and vendors to design a low-cost, highly functional product.
- Own something: Take systems or subsystems from concept, to prototypes through design, test, and launch. Work with cross functional leaders and teams to get there.
- Measure twice, cut once: Design and perform tests to validate your designs.
- Give and receive feedback: Thoughtfully consider the mechanical designs of peers so that you can provide design, manufacturing, technical feedback both through the design review process and consistent informal communication.
- Plan your work:. Contribute to resource and time estimations to assist in company level planning.
Please include in your application a resume and cover letter addressing why you think it would be good for us to collaborate.
Momentum Machines doesn’t discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We’re committed to being a team that reflects a broad range of experience, thought, geography, age, background, gender, sexual orientation, language, culture and many other characteristics.