Software & Electronics Team
About Momentum Machines:
Founded in 2009 and located in San Francisco’s South of Market neighborhood, Momentum Machines is a small collective of food lovers and engineers with decades of robotics and restaurant experience. In the past five-plus years, we’ve solved many difficult engineering and manufacturing challenges, helped each other grow, and built some interesting intellectual property.
Our first device makes gourmet burgers from scratch. Not only do we grind the meat to order, we also slice tomatoes, onions, pickles, and a brioche roll fresh for you. Accented by an infinitely personalizable variety of produce, seasonings, and sauces, you can get exactly what you’re craving. Serving a burger this great at such affordable prices would be impossible without culinary automation.
We’re building an engineering-focused group of analytic and creative individuals. The team consists of roboticists from institutions including Berkeley and Stanford and firms like Tesla and NASA. Our culinary team contains veterans of Chez Panisse and Fat Duck. Our advisors include experts across fields like engineering, culinary, design, intellectual property, and even a NRN Restaurant Operator of the Year Award winner. Additionally, we’re further advised and supported by some of the top investors in the Silicon Valley.
About the role: You’ll design restaurant and mobile applications for the world's first gourmet food producing robots. You’ll work closely with a world-class development team. Applications include mobile and web ordering, innovative point-of-sales, human/machine interfaces, and kiosks.
About the Team That’s Hiring: The guest experience team is focused on the future of how people dine. We are responsible for creating beautiful interactions across every digital and physical touchpoint. We are the team that connects machines to guest experience, working on cloud applications one day and mechatronics the next. We are highly cross-functional and adept learners. We bring robotics to life and delight to our guests.
- A visual designer: You create intuitive, usable and beautiful visual designs. You’re versed in sketching and wireframing software. You follow design principles. You’re creative. You make magic happen and you bring delight to your users.
- Familiar with interaction design: You’re comfortable with the principles of interaction design. You imagine how an app can be different and paint a picture that persuades others that a design can be improved.
- User focused: You generate A/B tests and you interview your users. You carefully weigh user insight against your intuition. You view yourself as a user as well and contribute ideas.
- An experienced designer: You’ve spent at least four years in design, and have hands-on experience designing for mobile applications. You can translate design insights and user needs into product requirements. You have strong insight on what looks good and what doesn't. You have ideas and are willing to experiment to find what looks best.
- Empathetic to web and mobile development: You’re familiar with web standards and how software developers work. You participate in sprint planning and you communicate effectively with software engineers.
- Be a founding member of the mobile team: you’ll be the first designer for mobile apps that change how we eat.
- Profoundly impact consumer and restaurant experiences: you’ll work closely with developers and product managers and have direct influence in product design at every stage of the process. You’ll span product design, UX, visual design and user research.
- Lead end-to-end design: You’ll connect the vision set out by our CEO and guest experience team to the UIs in our web and mobile apps. You’ll create clear and compelling wireframes, visual design comps, user flows and interactive prototypes. You’ll connect design to brand, business needs and user research. You’ll lead the selection of UX and UI paradigms.
- Create beautiful visual assets: You’ll create assets for web and mobile applications, marketing materials and promotions.
- Ideate: You’ll brainstorm on ideas that shape aesthetics, flow and usability.
- Send a resume and cover letter that speaks to why you’re a good fit for this role. Focus on the things about you that we won’t know from reading your resume!
- We’d love to see your portfolio or some past work.
Momentum Machines doesn’t discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We’re committed to being a team that reflects a broad range of experience, thought, geography, age, background, gender, sexual orientation, language, culture and many other characteristics. We’re also committed to working with awesome people.