Interaction Design Intern
About Momentum Machines:
Founded in 2009 and located in San Francisco’s South of Market neighborhood, Momentum Machines is a small collective of food lovers and engineers with decades of robotics and restaurant experience. In the past five-plus years, we’ve solved many difficult engineering and manufacturing challenges, helped each other grow, and built a beautiful and amazing device.
Our first device makes gourmet burgers from scratch. Not only do we grind the meat to order, we also slice tomatoes, onions, pickles, and a brioche roll fresh for you. Accented by an infinitely personalizable variety of produce, seasonings, and sauces, you can get exactly what you’re craving. Serving a burger this great at such affordable prices would be impossible without culinary automation.
About the Role:
The restaurant team is focused on the future of how people dine. We are responsible for creating beautiful interactions across every digital and physical touchpoint. You will contribute research and wireframes to inform our customer and staff experiences. You’ll also get to help execute on our environmental design. Your mentors will be two senior designers who will ensure that you are both challenged and supported. Throughout, you’ll have a front row seat to seeing how a small multi-disciplinary startup combines design, engineering, and operations to create a wholly new kind of end-to-end experience.
This is a full time paid internship running May - August
- Hungry for a challenge: You love the idea of owning and delivering real projects. Being in over your head excites you. Learning is your superpower and Google is your sidekick.
- Self-directed: You don’t wait to be asked. You’re always searching for how to add value in new ways. You’re ready to contribute to whatever is needed of you.
- Visually articulate: You can translate design insights and user needs into beautiful, functional UIs with your tool of choice. You have strong opinions on what looks good and what doesn't.
- Empathetic: You love stepping into others' shoes and attempting to understand what makes them tick and what ticks them off. You think talking to strangers is fun.
- Do design research: From observation, to interviews, to competitive analysis, you’ll work across methodologies to discover key insights and present them to the team.
- Prototype real interfaces: You’ll collect needs from stakeholders, create wireframes and assets, and collaborate with engineering and design to test and iterate.
- Help where needed: We’re a small startup. We each “wear a lot of hats” and fill many roles outside our area of focus. You will too.
Please submit a short presentation highlighting portfolio projects and explain what you learned from them.
Momentum Machines doesn’t discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We’re committed to being a team that reflects a broad range of experience, thought, geography, age, background, gender, sexual orientation, language, culture and many other characteristics.