Test Engineer Intern
About Momentum Machines:
Founded in 2009 and located in San Francisco’s South of Market neighborhood, Momentum Machines is a small collective of food lovers and engineers with decades of robotics and restaurant experience. In the past five-plus years, we’ve solved many difficult engineering and manufacturing challenges, helped each other grow, and built some interesting intellectual property.
Our first device makes gourmet burgers from scratch. Not only do we grind the meat to order, we also slice tomatoes, onions, pickles, and a brioche roll fresh for you. Accented by an infinitely personalizable variety of produce, seasonings, and sauces, you can get exactly what you’re craving. Serving a burger this great at such affordable prices would be impossible without culinary automation.
We’re building an engineering-focused group of analytic and creative individuals. The team consists of roboticists from institutions including Berkeley and Stanford and firms like Tesla and NASA. Our culinary team contains veterans of Chez Panisse and Fat Duck. Our advisors include experts across fields like engineering, culinary, design, intellectual property, and even a NRN Restaurant Operator of the Year Award winner. Additionally, we’re further advised and supported by some of the top investors in Silicon Valley.
About the role:
The Test Engineering Intern will act as a critical feedback mechanism to our design process and operations. By subjecting our electromechanical systems to a battery of tests, you will help us learn about the limitations of our design and uncover areas of growth.
- Organized and detail orientated: You make lists in your sleep and have great fun playing with spreadsheets. You can keep track of numerous tests and keep meticulous records of data and results.
- Analytical and data driven: You are experienced with spreadsheets (Excel and Google Sheets) and mathematical computing software such as MatLab. You enjoy crunching numbers to solve problems.
- A Problem Solver: You’ve used or been trained in problem solving and process improvement techniques like Root Cause Analysis, Analytical Troubleshooting, Control Plans, Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA.)
- Experienced with measuring equipment: Experienced with test equipment such as meters, oscilloscopes, data loggers, etc.
- A great juggler: Solid history of solving complex problems while being able to work collaboratively while handling multiple projects on various timelines. Actual juggling is always a plus.
- Collaborative: You can clearly express your needs and timelines and you actively listen for others’ needs and timelines. You are diligent about communicating with stakeholders about meeting and missing deadlines.
- Plan: Create, enhance, and execute manual and automated test plans to ensure that electronics, mechanical hardware, and software meet specified quality standards.
- Explore new products: Perform exploratory testing on new-to-world designs to identify unanticipated problems and test need.
- Find out if stuff works: Conduct functional tests on electrical, mechanical, and software to ensure products function as anticipated.
- Find out how reliable things are: Conduct tests to gauge reliability and durability of designs.
- Make cool stuff: Build experimental circuitry or complete prototype models according to engineering instructions, technical manuals, and knowledge of electronic systems and components.
Please include in your application a resume and cover letter addressing why you think it would be good for us to collaborate.
Momentum Machines doesn’t discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We’re committed to being a team that reflects a broad range of experience, thought, geography, age, background, gender, sexual orientation, language, culture and many other characteristics.