Mechatronics Software Architect
Software & Electronics Team
About Momentum Machines:
Backed by Khosla & Google Ventures, we're a robotics company aiming to revolutionize the dining experience. Right now, we've created a robot that makes fresh gourmet food with high-quality ingredients from scratch. You’d join a team from institutions including Berkeley and Stanford and firms like Tesla and NASA, alongside our culinary team, which contains veterans of Chez Panisse and Fat Duck.
When you’re doing something nobody has ever done before, the old ways can frequently come up short. At Momentum Machines, you’ll get the opportunity to be creative, to try, to fail, to learn and to succeed. You will have an appetite for risk, because that’s how we leap ahead together.
About the role: You’ll drive development of software for the world's first gourmet food producing robots. As technical lead, you’ll guide technology stack selection and software architecture, and you’ll roll up your sleeves and help develop when needed. You’ll help recruit a world-class development team. This is both a technical and leadership role with significant growth opportunity.
About the Team That’s Hiring: We are the team that connects machines to guest experience, working on cloud applications one day and mechatronics the next. We are highly cross-functional and adept learners. We bring robotics to life and delight to our guests.
- Pioneering: You’re excited to take creative control of a greenfield project and to be among the first to revolutionize how people eat. You take risks to innovate, and know how to balance risk against limited resources and time. You drive a culture of problem solving from first principles, and you keep abreast of technologies and trends that may multiply our effort.
- Autonomous: You take initiative and pitch in where it helps the most. You play well with software developers but will go solo when necessary. You carve your own path and are driven to do your best. You also communicate well (with humans).
- A leader: You’re a great communicator and you lead by execution, support and listening -- and not from ego or positional authority. You identify stakeholders and seek their advice when making a decision. You clearly communicate expectations to others. You keep commitments. You love where you work, and you recognize that great companies rise from great culture. You’re ethically minded and succeed without compromising values.
- Growth-minded: You promote genuine personal growth and growth in others. You frequently refine your view of product, engineering, and leadership. You enable constructive feedback and actionable suggestions to flow freely between colleagues.
- An architect: You’ve rolled up your sleeves and made something awesome. You’ve got engineering chops. Your experience and expertise make you a better leader and inform your strategy. You start from a blank slate, you chose the technology stack that best fits the product and timeline, and you use off-the-shelf as often as possible. You’re up-to-speed on the latest technology trends. You have a deep understanding of security, scalability and reliability. You're an engineer with extensive experience deploying from whiteboard to production environments for applications in robotics, mechatronics or embedded systems.
- Focused on results: You plan, measure and reflect. You’re effective at implementing change. You’re practical and down-to-earth. You strive for perfection but you won’t allow perfect to impede progress. You’re comfortable with ambiguity and seek clarity where needed.
- An experienced mechatronics, robotics or embedded systems engineer: You’re proficient in C++, and you’re not afraid of the cloud.
- An experienced engineering team leader: You’ve driven every stage of a product from conception to launch to maintenance. You’ve seen a product evolve over multiple releases. You have lead development teams through several product releases. You’ve grown teams from small to large in a short amount of time, while preserving the best parts of the team culture. You know what success looks like.
- Lead the mechatronics software team: You’ll lead the team in design methodology (Agile or other), sprint planning, project management, code reviews and anything else you deem necessary to deliver high-quality products on schedule. You’ll lead the team in goal setting, and you’ll establish evaluation processes that inform engineers on progress towards near- and long-term goals.
- Lead the selection of our technology stacks: our guests are agnostic to language and frameworks -- and so are we.
- Roll up your sleeves and code: You’ll write code wherever you’re needed, or wherever there are gaps in the team’s skills.
- Help where needed: We’re a small startup. We each “wear a lot of hats” and fill many roles outside our area of focus. You will too.
- Bonus: GitHub profiles, portfolio websites, personal projects or products you have worked on.
Momentum Machines doesn’t discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We’re committed to being a team that reflects a broad range of experience, thought, geography, age, background, gender, sexual orientation, language, culture and many other characteristics. We’re also committed to working with awesome people.