Mechatronics Software Manager
Software & Electronics Team
About Momentum Machines:
Founded in 2009 and located in San Francisco’s South of Market neighborhood, Momentum Machines is a small collective of food lovers and engineers with decades of robotics and restaurant experience. In the past five-plus years, we’ve solved many difficult engineering and manufacturing challenges, helped each other grow, and built some interesting intellectual property.
Our first device makes gourmet burgers from scratch. Not only do we grind the meat to order, we also slice tomatoes, onions, pickles, and a brioche roll fresh for you. Accented by an infinitely personalizable variety of produce, seasonings, and sauces, you can get exactly what you’re craving. Serving a burger this great at such affordable prices would be impossible without culinary automation.
We’re building an engineering-focused group of analytic and creative individuals. The team consists of roboticists from institutions including Berkeley and Stanford and firms like Tesla and NASA. Our culinary team contains veterans of Chez Panisse and Fat Duck. Our advisors include experts across fields like engineering, culinary, design, intellectual property, and even a NRN Restaurant Operator of the Year Award winner. Additionally, we’re further advised and supported by some of the top investors in the Silicon Valley.
About the role: You’ll drive development of software for the world's first gourmet food producing robots. You’ll be a technical lead and a development team manager. As technical lead, you’ll guide technology stack selection and software architecture, and you’ll roll up your sleeves and help develop when needed. As team manager you’ll help recruit a world-class development team. This is both a technical and leadership role with significant growth opportunity.
About the Team That’s Hiring: We are the team that connects machines to guest experience, working on cloud applications one day and mechatronics the next. We are highly cross-functional and adept learners. We bring robotics to life and delight to our guests.
- Pioneering: You’re excited to take creative control of a greenfield project and to be among the first to revolutionize how people eat. You take risks to innovate, and know how to balance risk against limited resources and time. You drive a culture of problem solving from first principles, and you keep abreast of technologies and trends that may multiply our effort.
- Autonomous: You take initiative and pitch in where it helps the most. You play well with software developers but will go solo when necessary. You carve your own path and are driven to do your best. You also communicate well (with humans).
- A leader: You’re experienced in managing. You’re a great communicator and you lead by execution, support and listening -- and not from ego or positional authority. You identify stakeholders and seek their advice when making a decision. You clearly communicate expectations to others. You keep commitments. You love where you work, and you recognize that great companies rise from great culture. You’re ethically minded and succeed without compromising values.
- Growth-minded: You promote genuine personal growth and growth in others. You frequently refine your view of product, engineering, and leadership. You enable constructive feedback and actionable suggestions to flow freely between colleagues.
- An architect: You’ve rolled up your sleeves and made something awesome. You’ve got engineering chops. Your experience and expertise make you a better leader and inform your strategy. You start from a blank slate, you chose the technology stack that best fits the product and timeline, and you use off-the-shelf as often as possible. You’re up-to-speed on the latest technology trends. You have a deep understanding of security, scalability and reliability. You're an engineer with extensive experience deploying from whiteboard to production environments for applications in robotics, mechatronics or embedded systems.
- Focused on results: You plan, measure and reflect. You’re effective at implementing change. You’re practical and down-to-earth. You strive for perfection but you won’t allow perfect to impede progress. You’re comfortable with ambiguity and seek clarity where needed.
- An experienced mechatronics, robotics or embedded systems engineer: You’re proficient in C++, and you’re not afraid of the cloud.
- An experienced engineering team leader: You’ve driven every stage of a product from conception to launch to maintenance. You’ve seen a product evolve over multiple releases. You have lead development teams through several product releases. You’ve grown teams from small to large in a short amount of time, while preserving the best parts of the team culture. You know what success looks like.
- Lead the mechatronics software team: You’ll lead the team in design methodology (Agile or other), sprint planning, project management, code reviews and anything else you deem necessary to deliver high-quality products on schedule. You’ll lead the team in goal setting, and you’ll establish evaluation processes that inform engineers on progress towards near- and long-term goals. You’ll coach individuals to achieve their growth goals.
- Lead the selection of our technology stacks: our guests are agnostic to language and frameworks -- and so are we.
- Roll up your sleeves and code: You’ll write code wherever you’re needed, or wherever there are gaps in the team’s skills.
- Help where needed: We’re a small startup. We each “wear a lot of hats” and fill many roles outside our area of focus. You will too.
- Send a resume and cover letter that convinces us you’re human and you care about what we do.
- Bonus: GitHub profiles, portfolio websites, personal projects or products you have worked on.
Momentum Machines doesn’t discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We’re committed to being a team that reflects a broad range of experience, thought, geography, age, background, gender, sexual orientation, language, culture and many other characteristics. We’re also committed to working with awesome people.