Senior Cost Accountant
Santa Clara, California /
Momentus is the first company to offer the infrastructure services necessary to enable enterprise and human existence to flourish in space. We are striving to meet the needs of our customers by offering the most affordable last-mile satellite and cargo delivery, payload hosting, and in-orbit servicing options. Our in-space shuttles are propelled by a revolutionary new type of water plasma rocket. No one has experimented with or built water plasma propulsion on the scale that we are, and so we are hiring to scale our company for continued success. Our technological breakthroughs paired with recent disruptions in the launch industry unlock business opportunities in space of a previously unimaginable magnitude. The market opportunity is massive, with the space economy projected to be worth trillions in the near term. At Momentus, we are helping to usher in the next industrial revolution—in space.
We know that daring problems require daring solutions. While our competitors take more conservative, proven approaches, we are experimenting with never-been-done-before technology to solve the greatest challenges of our time. Our team knows that working at Momentus means more than building innovative technology, it means creating an entirely new market in the space economy. We are level-headed, business-minded strategic thinkers intent on providing immediate value while simultaneously preparing for the vast possibilities of the future. If this sounds like you, we should talk.
The successful candidate will be under the direct supervision of the Controller. The Sr Cost Accountant will maintain a high level of analytical insight into R&D projects, manufacturing, operational expenses, product costing / pricing (unit economics) and product line profitability. The accountant will need to support customer and R&D related project cost and schedule performance. In addition, the accountant will need to work closely with the head of manufacturing to implement and maintain an ERP system consistent with the cost management capabilities of the organization.
● Implementation of manufacturing system
● Implementation of project accounting system
● Budgeting projects and target manufacturing costs
- Develops, implements and maintains a cost accounting system.
- Develops, implements and maintains a project accounting in an aerospace company environment (knowledge of EVMS a plus but not required)
- Collect data to determine costs of business activity such as procurement, inventory and labor; analyzes data obtained and records results at the company GL and project level.
- Collects data, allocates costs and prepares reports on labor, assembly or other operating expenses ensuring established procedures are followed, including OH rates and factors.
- Oversee the cost system for accuracy, completeness, timeliness and quality.
- Prepares journal entries, maintains and reconciles ledger accounts.
- Prepare various month-end reports and assist with the month-end review.
- Perform closing duties such as cost allocation entries and inventory reconciliations.
- Analyzes changes in product design, raw materials, manufacturing methods, or services provided to determine effects on costs and unit economics.
- Identify leading indicators in support of analyzing actual manufacturing costs to estimated / budgeted production costs at the project and GL level.
- Analyze manufacturing variances ensuring that impacts to the general ledger are booked correctly at the project and GL level.
- Performs analysis and prepares special reports.
- Coordinates all physical inventory company-wide including customer and supplier locations
- Acts as liaison to auditors for all inventory and manufacturing concerns.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Problem-solver - you enjoy being presented with problems, because you deliver solutions and enjoy doing whatever it takes to execute and deliver results.
- Accountable - you take ownership over outcomes and are comfortable owning some of our most important public facing information.
- Self-starter - you take initiative and thrive in environments that require you to wear multiple hats.
- Builder - you enjoy building and rebuilding processes and building relationships to drive consensus across teams, influence decision making, and develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Analytical - you know the highest impact questions to ask and can dive into the data and do the analysis required to answer those questions.
- US Person
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field required.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment required
- Five to seven years of manufacturing and project cost accounting experience
- Experience with integrated ERP software, NetSuite Projects, Inventory, Manufacturing
- Must be able to work independently and on multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience with government contracts, DCAA, DMCA and FAR regulations preferred but not required
- NetSuite experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and solve practical problems or resolve issues.
- Experience in month end close process adhering to established deadlines.
- The ability to understand and follow instructions and the ability to concentrate is required.
- The ability to get along with others or to be part of a team.
- Regular attendance at the worksite.
- Advanced knowledge of excel, Google Suite and Microsoft Office Applications.
- Proven track record of leading initiatives, hitting goals, and succeeding in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to lead and mentor staff accountants
- Attention to detail & process oriented
- Excellent writing skills; proficient in technical accounting writing ability
- Ability to multi-task on competing and deadline sensitive priorities.
This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required.