Mission Design Systems Engineer
Santa Clara, California /
Engineers – Mission Designs/Engineering /
Momentus provides in-space transportation services. To do this, we are building and operating orbit transfer vehicles which carry spacecraft from the orbit where they are initially dropped-off to their final orbit where they need to be to perform their mission.
In order to deliver our customers from one orbit to another as quickly and efficiently as possible, we perform comprehensive mission design studies.
Momentus is seeking talented mission designers, systems engineers, aerospace engineers, spacecraft operators, orbit analysts, and mechanical engineers interested in joining our mission design team to help us chart our path through space.
- Create comprehensive mission designs based on customer needs to support ongoing business development efforts
- Operate in-house tools to perform custom orbital trajectory designs with the assistance of orbital analysts
- Perform mechanical design fit-checks and mockups using CAD software
- Create draft mission operation plans based on customer requirements and assess mission operational feasibility
- Perform cross-checks of compatibility between customer requirements and standard product interfaces
- Support the writing of proposals by providing technical content and review
- Meet occasionally with customers to understand customer needs, and incorporate those needs into mission designs
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and business development team members to ensure accurate product information is collected and delivered to customers in a timely manner
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BS and/or MS in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, or equivalent and 2-6 years experience
- Experience with commercial CAD software (Solidworks, etc.)
- Experience with nature of commercial spacecraft operations (preferred: experience performing spacecraft operations)
- Preferred: Mission design and orbit simulation experience using commercial software (STK, FreeFlyer, etc.) or custom software
- Preferred: Aptitude and experience with a variety of programming languages (preferred one of more of: Python, Matlab, Fortran, and C++)
Salary and option compensation is commensurate with experience and training. This is a full time position in Santa Clara, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required.