Innovation and Research Engineer- Robotics
Santa Clara, California /
Engineers – Innovation Engineer /
As a first-mover in building in-space transportation and infrastructure technology, Momentus is at the forefront of the commercialization of space. With an experienced team of aerospace, propulsion, and robotics engineers, Momentus has developed a cost-effective and energy-efficient in-space transport system based on plasma water propulsion technology.
Daring problems require daring solutions. We boldly charge into uncharted territory knowing that no matter the outcome we will benefit from the journey and move closer to our goals no matter what. Our teams know that working at Momentus means more than building innovative technology, it means creating entirely new markets in the space economy. We are level-headed, business-minded strategic thinkers intent on providing immediate value to our customers today while simultaneously preparing for the vast possibilities of the future. If this sounds like you, we should talk.
We are building an ‘Innovation Group’ to address some of the big technical challenges associated with building new infrastructure in space. Members of this multidisciplinary group will work closely with each and with other engineering teams throughout the company to develop new technology. We have an immediate need for an engineer with a strong background in robotics and controls who will play a key role in advancing the robotic capabilities of our spacecraft.
This is an opportunity to be a part of something new and exciting, work on rewarding and challenging projects with uncertain outcomes, and requires that candidates be highly self-motivated and champions of problem solving in the company. Candidates will have demonstrated technical excellence with prior work experience, research, or publications. Ideal candidates will have created many tangible products or prototypes and be very comfortable with both hardware and software.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience with the modelling, planning, and control of robots and robotic systems for various applications. A deep understanding of the state-of-the-art in robotic systems and how to trade cost for capability
- Experience implementing new approaches to improve robot test and validation, robot calibration, robot motion, or robotic mechanisms
- Experience with prototyping and debugging with simplified systems controlled by Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.
- Experience implementing control architectures; Familiarity with machine vision and visual servoing
- Strong proficiency in Python and/or C++; Familiarity with ML algorithms and packages (deep learning, PyTorch, TensorFlow)
- Fluency in CAD software (we use Solidworks) and prototyping both 3D printed and machined structures
- Familiarity with mechanical design and understanding of mechanisms
- While familiarity with the space environment is not required, experience with it and with using COTS devices (actuators and sensors) in space is highly desirable
Education & Work Experience:
- Graduate level education in robotics, or an equivalent level of understanding gained through experience
- 5+ years of work experience, especially in a startup/fast-paced environment
This is a full-time position in Santa Clara, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required
Momentus is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Momentus is also an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, creed, national origin, veteran status, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other protected class.
To all recruitment agencies: Momentus does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employees or any company email. Momentus will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.