Senior Mechanical Engineer
Santa Clara, California /
Engineers – Mechanical Engineering /
Momentus provides in-space transportation services. To do this, we are building and operating orbit transfer vehicles which carry spacecraft from the orbit where they are initially dropped-off to their final orbit where they need to be to perform their mission.
In order to continuing leading the in-space transportation industry, Momentus is working now to design the next generation of orbit transportation vehicles.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will participate in the mechanical, structural, and thermal design of flight spacecraft and will follow programs through execution of assembly, integration, and test. The ideal candidate should be accustomed to working in a fast-paced environment and quickly adapting to new challenges.
- Mechanical design of spacecraft components including primary structure, support structure, brackets, GSE, electronics enclosures, bulkheads, wire harness, and more.
- Provide leadership and guidance to junior engineers.
- Work with structural analysts to ensure structural integrity of the spacecraft and all components during all phases of launch.
- Work with thermal analysts to ensure all components are maintained within acceptable temperature limits.
- Conduct mechanical testing of systems and components including vibration testing, static load testing, and shock testing.
- May be asked to support TVAC testing on an as-needed basis.
Required Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated experience with detail design of mechanical hardware for space systems.
- Experience defining requirements for mechanical systems and components.
- Familiarity with the space environment and how it affects mechanical hardware.
- Familiarity with material selection and material coatings for space applications.
- General understanding of spacecraft structural loads (quasi-static loads, random vibration, shock, thermo-mechanical).
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent technical communications skills.
- Good written and verbal communications skills.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience designing, manufacturing, and testing space hardware with demonstrated on-orbit success.
- Experience running structural vibration testing.
- Experience running TVAC tests.
- Structural and/or thermal analysis experience.
Education & Work Experience
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Mechanics plus 6-15 years relevant experience.
Salary and option compensation is commensurate with experience and training. This is a full time position in Santa Clara, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required.