Senior Propulsion Engineer
Santa Clara, California /
Engineers – Propulsion Engineer /
Momentus is providing in-space transportation services by building spacecraft that carry satellites and hosted payloads between orbits in space. Our spacecraft are propelled by a new type of electric propulsion system (microwave electrothermal) which uses water as a propellant. Momentus is the first to demonstrate this type of thruster in space.
We seek an Sr. Propulsion Engineer who will be a leader in the development of propulsion systems at Momentus. This is an extremely technical based position which requires you to spend time both in the lab and in front of your desk. You should have experience bringing flight systems through the full development cycle.
- Lead the development of propulsion components and systems (mechanical design, materials & manufacturing methods, etc) from initial concept to assembly, integration, and test.
- Comprehensive understanding of fluid dynamics in both compressible and incompressible fluid; thermodynamics and heat transfer – able to create 1D fluid model to check theoretical performance, component’s functions/specs and the feasibility of system integration.
- Work with the Chief Engineer and propulsion manager to define engineering standards, methods, and best practices for the company's propulsion systems.
- Participate and lead engineering reviews of propulsion components and systems.
- Lead in the definition and execution of test plans for acceptance, qualification, and endurance testing of propulsion systems and components.
- Lead qualification, integration, and testing efforts of propulsion systems and components
- Assist in definition and documentation of assembly and manufacturing processes.
- Work with other engineers to drive components and subsystems to flight maturity.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BS in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or the equivalent
- A graduate degree (MS or PhD) is preferred
- Hands-on: desire to be involved with design, test, and assembly
- 5+ years of experience with the design of space propulsion systems (arcjet, resistojet, cold gas, bipropellant or monopropellant preferred)
- Experience with the full engineering life cycle of flight propulsion systems
- Deep understanding of fluid mechanics and compressible flow
- Familiarity with manufacturing methods, materials, and failure methods for high temperature propulsion systems
- A strong background in CAD (Solidworks preferred)
- Willingness to serve as a mentor, team player, and major contributor in a team of highly skilled engineers
Salary and option compensation is commensurate with experience and training. This is a full-time position in Santa Clara, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
To all recruitment agencies: Momentus does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employees or any company email. Momentus will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.