Innovation and Research Engineer – Automation
Santa Clara, California /
Engineers – Innovation Engineer /
As a first-mover in building in-space transportation and infrastructure technology, Momentus is at the forefront of the commercialization of space. With an experienced team of aerospace, propulsion, and robotics engineers, Momentus has developed a cost-effective and energy-efficient in-space transport system based on plasma water propulsion technology.
Daring problems require daring solutions. We boldly charge into uncharted territory knowing that no matter the outcome we will benefit from the journey and move closer to our goals no matter what. Our teams know that working at Momentus means more than building innovative technology, it means creating entirely new markets in the space economy. We are level-headed, business-minded strategic thinkers intent on providing immediate value to our customers today while simultaneously preparing for the vast possibilities of the future. If this sounds like you, we should talk.
We are building an ‘Innovation Group’ to address some of the big technical challenges associated with building new infrastructure in space. Members of this multidisciplinary group will work closely with each and with other engineering teams throughout the company to develop new technology. We have an immediate need for an engineer with a strong background in automating testing and other R&D activities to accelerate our development timescales.
This is an opportunity to be a part of something new and exciting, work on rewarding and challenging projects with uncertain outcomes, and requires that candidates be highly self-motivated and champions of problem solving in the company. Candidates will have demonstrated technical excellence by successfully deploying a large number of automated projects with diverse objectives.
Experience and Expertise
- Strong proficiency in Python and LabVIEW; Familiarity with ML algorithms and packages (deep learning, PyTorch, TensorFlow, scikit.learn)
- Experience deploying modular test stands that can be used by other engineers
- Proficiency with advanced motion control and control of multiple devices
- Familiarity with stepper, servo, and DC motors as well as their controllers
- Familiarity with optical and mechanical switches and sensors
- Proficiency with utilizing microcontrollers for quick experimentation
- Comprehensive knowledge of data acquisition technology and methods
- Familiarity with C, Linux, Docker
- Experience developing GUIs in Python (especially on webservers using Plotly Dash and Flask, and other open packages)
- Experience using machine vision and image processing software/hardware
- Experience designing circuit board for custom functionalities
- Experience using CAD software such as SolidWorks, NX, and Creo
- Bonus: Experience operating or utilizing mills, plasma cutters, 3D printers, or standard machine shop tools to quickly build fixtures and other pieces for test setups
- Bonus: familiarity with mechanical design and understanding of mechanisms
Education and Training
- An in-depth, technical understanding of automation, controls, or mechatronics gained through experience or formal education.
- 7+ years of work experience, especially in a startup/fast-paced environment.
This is a full-time position in Santa Clara, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required
Momentus is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Momentus is also an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, creed, national origin, veteran status, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other protected class.
To all recruitment agencies: Momentus does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employees or any company email. Momentus will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.