Plasma Technology Specialist
Santa Clara, California /
Engineers – Engineer /
As a first-mover in building in-space transportation and infrastructure technology, Momentus is at the forefront of the commercialization of space. With an experienced team of aerospace, propulsion, and robotics engineers, Momentus has developed a cost-effective and energy-efficient in-space transport system based on plasma water propulsion technology.
Daring problems require daring solutions. We boldly charge into uncharted territory knowing that no matter the outcome we will benefit from the journey and move closer to our goals no matter what. Our teams know that working at Momentus means more than building innovative technology, it means creating entirely new markets in the space economy. We are level-headed, business-minded strategic thinkers intent on providing immediate value to our customers today while simultaneously preparing for the vast possibilities of the future. If this sounds like you, we should talk.
As part of the Plasma Physics group, the Plasma Technology Specialist will play a key role in scaling space vehicles to bigger payloads and shorter trip times while increasing power and propellant efficiencies. They will also contribute to bringing innovative plasma technologies from concept to reality. Candidates will have demonstrated technical excellence with prior work experience, research, or publications and will be very hands on. Ideal candidates have to be comfortable with both hardware and analysis.
- Lead development of high enthalpy RF and Microwave plasma sources, from initial concept to prototype, engineering and qualification models.
- Design, build, and test high RF plasma sources, components, vacuum test chambers and diagnostics.
- Rapid prototyping and Agile engineering of components and systems for RF and Microwave sources, fluid management, thermal management, vacuum chambers, instrumentation.
- Work with Spacecraft and Propulsion teams on flight component engineering, testing and qualification.
- Provide expert analysis in the field of aerospace plasmas.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- MS (PhD preferred) in Applied Physics, Electric Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of professional experience with the design and development of RF and Microwave plasma sources, diagnostics and systems for at least one of the following: Plasma Propulsion, Industrial Plasma Processes (e.g. PECVD), Plasma Physics.
- Strong background with hands-on building, testing, optimizing, and improving plasma source components, systems and diagnostics.
- Experience with multi physics simulation and design tools (e.g. Comsol).
- Experience with CAD (e.g. Solidworks), machining, 3D printing.
- Desire to bring forward, test and implement innovative solutions to complex aerospace challenges.
- Willingness to serve as a mentor, team player, and major contributor in a team of highly skilled engineers.
- Experience with fast-paced/start-up environment preferred.
- Familiarity with Spacecraft Engineering preferred.
Education & Work Experience:
- Minimum: BS in Engineering plus 5 years relevant experience.
This is a full-time position in Santa Clara, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required
Momentus is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Momentus is also an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, creed, national origin, veteran status, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other protected class.
To all recruitment agencies: Momentus does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employees or any company email. Momentus will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.