Sr. Propulsion Engineer
Santa Clara, California /
Engineers – Sr. Propulsion Engineer /
Momentus is providing in-space transportation services by building spacecraft that carry satellites and hosted payloads between orbits in space. Our spacecraft are propelled by a new type of electric propulsion system (microwave electrothermal) which uses water as a propellant. Momentus is the first to demonstrate this type of thruster in space.
We seek a hands-on Sr. Propulsion Engineer who will be a leader in the development of propulsions systems at Momentus. They should have experience bringing flight systems through the full development cycle.
- Lead the development of propulsion components and systems (mechanical design, materials & manufacturing methods, etc) from initial concept to assembly, integration, and test
- Work with the Chief Engineer to define engineering standards, methods, and best practices for the company's propulsion systems
- Participate and lead engineering reviews of propulsion components and systems
- Lead in the definition and execution of test plans for acceptance, qualification, and endurance testing of propulsion systems and components
- Lead qualification, integration, and testing efforts of propulsion systems and components
- Assist in definition and documentation of assembly and manufacturing processes
- Work with other engineers to drive components and subsystems to flight maturity
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BS in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or the equivalent
- A graduate degree (MS or PhD) is preferred
- Hands-on: desire to be involved with design, test, and assembly
- 7+ years of experience with the design of space propulsion systems (arcjet, resistojet, cold gas, bipropellant or monopropellant preferred)
- Experience with the full engineering life cycle of flight propulsion systems
- Deep understanding of fluid mechanics and compressible flow
- Familiarity with manufacturing methods, materials, and failure methods for high temperature propulsion systems
- A strong background in CAD (Solidworks preferred)
- Willingness to serve as a mentor, team player, and major contributor in a team of highly skilled engineers
Salary and option compensation is commensurate with experience and training. This is a full-time position in Santa Clara, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required.