High Power Microwave (HPM) Engineer
Santa Clara, California /
Engineers – Engineer /
Momentus is providing in-space transportation services by building spacecraft that carry satellites and hosted payloads between orbits in space. Our spacecraft are propelled by a new type of electric propulsion system (microwave electrothermal) which uses water as a propellant. Momentus is the first to demonstrate this type of thruster in space.
As part of the Plasma Physics group, the High Power Microwave (HPM) Engineer will play a key role in scaling space vehicles to bigger payloads and shorter trip times while increasing power and propellant efficiencies. They will also contribute to bringing innovative spacecraft HPM concepts to reality.
- Lead development of High Power Microwave generators and components for spacecraft, from initial concept to prototype, demonstration, and qualification.
- Design, build, and test high efficiency HPM components and systems, including signal generators, amplifiers, combiners, tuners, and operating with complex loads (plasmas).
- Rapid prototyping of HPM components.
- Work with Spacecraft Avionics and Propulsion teams on optimizing and continuous improvement of HPM systems.
- Support integration of HPM systems into spacecraft propulsion systems.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BS in Electric Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent. A graduate degree (MS or PhD) is preferred.
- 5+ years of professional experience with the design and development of High Power Microwave systems for at least one of the following: RF accelerators, vacuum electronics, high power CW/pulsed microwave communications/sensors, industrial microwave heaters, space electric propulsion, plasma physics.
- Strong background with hands-on building, testing, optimizing, and improving HPM components and systems.
- Experience with high frequency component simulation and design tools (Ansys HFSS preferred).
- Experience with PCB CAD/manufacturing.
- Desire to bring forward, test and implement innovative solutions to complex aerospace challenges.
- Willingness to serve as a mentor, team player, and major contributor in a team of highly skilled engineers.
- Experience with fast-paced/start-up environment preferred.
- Familiarity with Plasma Physics and/or Spacecraft Engineering preferred.
Salary and option compensation is commensurate with experience and training. This is a full-time position in Santa Clara, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required
To all recruitment agencies: Momentus does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employees or any company email. Momentus will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.