Technology – Engineering
Welcome to MOO – our purpose is simple: great design for everyone. Want to join us? We’re award-winning, design-led, technology-driven and powered by some pretty awesome people. You might be one of them.
Software engineering is at the heart of what we do here at MOO - engineers, as part of our agile multi-disciplinary teams, build and support a set of products and services that combined create our unique user experience on the MOO website, enable our internal teams to work in the most productive and efficient ways and enable a whole range of print capabilities via modern APIs.
Our engineering directors are senior technical leaders who balance work on technical strategy & execution with growing, building & leading the engineering organisation. They partner collaboratively at the senior level with product, experience design, agile delivery coaching as well as the broader business. And they foster teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
- You’ll lead on technical strategy for an area and set of teams, partnering with product, design and agile counterparts to articulate and deliver a product roadmap that meets our current needs and helps us scale & grow for the future
- You will focus on building & leading a high performing engineering capability for your area, both hiring, growing & retaining great people and instilling great ways of working
- You’ll be accountable for day-to-day operational excellence, including dealing with incidents & outages and making sure we do good fire prevention as well as firefighting
- You will provide context, support and guidance as our team works toward our objectives — you will inspire, not just direct
- You’ll work with your teams and our architects on developing and stewarding appropriate longer term architecture / technical design / appropriate teams’ skillsets and set up
- You’ll be adept at balancing business needs and technical needs, in particular smart choices about when to accept and when to address technical debt
- You’ll be a part of MOO’s tech leadership team and contribute to our overall tech strategy
- You may play a personal leadership role on some major initiatives which need driving across multiple areas/teams (sometimes beyond your own area)
- You’ll research new technologies and ways of working, and help us to stay current but spending your “innovation tokens” wisely
- You’ll do headcount planning and budget management for your area
- You will select & manage vendors as appropriate (sometimes we will buy rather than build), partnering with a commercial mindset to achieve deeper business relationships that are more sustainable long term
- You have experience leading engineering organisations at scale and in particular are experienced at managing managers and delivering through others
- You are comfortable managing an organisation of 30+ engineers / test engineers / engineering managers / technical product owners
- You care about people development and management, and build effective teams that are focused on delivering great products & systems
- You’re comfortable working in an agile environment
- You’re happy working with/from our current set of tech choices (notably we are primarily Java & Python focused, using React for front end apps, and AWS for infrastructure)
Nice to Have
- You might contribute to the broader technology community in some way
- You might have the advantage of a technology background in a high growth .com customer facing business
- You might have past experience in an environment which blends physical and digital products
We set out to shake up the world of print back in 2006. And we’ve come a long way since. Today we’re a 500-strong team (we’re thinking of getting matching jackets) who create print and digital products for companies of all sizes – from Google and AirBnB to the guy who makes those amazing prints you found at a craft fair.
Our global HQ is in London, UK, while we also have premises in Dagenham. In the US, you’ll find us in Boston, MA, as well as Providence and Lincoln, RI and Denver, CO. And we’re still growing! That’s where you come in.
What’s it like to work at MOO?
MOO’s the kind of workplace where you can really be yourself. Dye your hair purple. Hit the sofa with your laptop. Whatever helps you feel comfortable and happy at work. We want to help you grow in your career and set you up for success – while also recognising the importance of a healthy work/life balance.
That’s why we offer flexible hours, a matched pension scheme, MOO’s share option scheme, paid parental leave and generous a holiday allowance. We’ll offer you private healthcare, life insurance, a season ticket loan, subsidised gym membership and a cycle to work scheme. Finally, we’ll treat you to breakfast and fresh fruit every day, lunch on Fridays and all the ice cream you can eat (just watch for the brain freeze).
We are working hard to create a representative, inclusive and super-friendly team, because we know that different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make for a better workplace. And that creates a better experience for our customers. MOO doesn’t discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected class.