Technology – Engineering
Software engineering is at the heart of what we do here at MOO - engineers, as part of our agile multi-disciplinary teams, build and support a set of products and services that combined create our unique user experience on the MOO website, enable our internal teams to work in the most productive and efficient ways and enable a whole range of print capabilities via modern APIs.
Our engineering directors are senior technical leaders who balance work on technical strategy & execution with growing, building & leading the engineering organisation. They partner collaboratively at the senior level with product, experience design, agile delivery coaching as well as the broader business. And they foster teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
- You’ll lead on technical strategy for an area and set of teams, partnering with product, design and agile counterparts to articulate and deliver a product roadmap that meets our current needs and helps us scale & grow for the future
- You will focus on building & leading a high performing engineering capability for your area, both hiring, growing & retaining great people and instilling great ways of working
- You’ll be accountable for day-to-day operational excellence, including dealing with incidents & outages and making sure we do good fire prevention as well as firefighting
- You will provide context, support and guidance as our team works toward our objectives — you will inspire, not just direct
- You’ll work with your teams and our architects on developing and stewarding appropriate longer term architecture / technical design / appropriate teams’ skillsets and set up
- You’ll be adept at balancing business needs and technical needs, in particular smart choices about when to accept and when to address technical debt
- You’ll be a part of MOO’s tech leadership team and contribute to our overall tech strategy
- You may play a personal leadership role on some major initiatives which need driving across multiple areas/teams (sometimes beyond your own area)
- You’ll research new technologies and ways of working, and help us to stay current but spending your “innovation tokens” wisely
- You’ll do headcount planning and budget management for your area
- You will select & manage vendors as appropriate (sometimes we will buy rather than build), partnering with a commercial mindset to achieve deeper business relationships that are more sustainable long term
- You have experience leading engineering organisations at scale and in particular are experienced at managing managers and delivering through others
- You are comfortable managing an organisation of 30+ engineers / test engineers / engineering managers / technical product owners
- You care about people development and management, and build effective teams that are focused on delivering great products & systems
- You’re comfortable working in an agile environment
- You’re happy working with/from our current set of tech choices (notably we are primarily Java & Python focused, using React for front end apps, and AWS for infrastructure)
Nice to Have
- You might contribute to the broader technology community in some way
- You might have the advantage of a technology background in a high growth .com customer facing business
- You might have past experience in an environment which blends physical and digital products
MOO is a multi-award-winning technology, design & print company. We’re passionate about making great design accessible to all.
We pride ourselves on providing amazing quality print products and a fantastic customer experience for everyone, everywhere.
Founded in 2006, we’ve grown a lot since then and the total team is around 500 people in 6 locations across UK & US. Our multi-disciplinary product teams work together in our beautiful design centric offices in Farringdon, London.
Along with the encouragement to really “be yourself at work”, great roles and opportunities to grow in your specialism & career, we offer comprehensive benefits including matched pension, paid parental leave, 25 days holiday rising to 30 through tenure, private healthcare insurance, life insurance, season ticket loans, cycle to work scheme and an ice cream fridge stocked with at least 4 flavours of Magnum and more cake than you’ve ever seen.
Diverse teams build better products
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives and backgrounds will consistently lead to a better workplace for our MOOsters (employees) and a better product for our customers.
MOO does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected class. We are actively working to create a diverse & inclusive team.