Chief Design Officer
Leadership – Executive
Perm - Full-time
MOO is a global design, technology and manufacturing business, passionate about making beautifully designed, remarkable custom stationery.
Since launching in late 2006 the business has experienced incredible growth. Started with just £150k in capital, revenues in 2017 were £90m and the company has ambitions to double in size over the next three years. Today MOO produces more than 2 million products a year for customers in over 100 countries and has built a very strong presence in the USA (which represents nearly 70% of revenue).
Serving the world’s most creative businesses, MOO’s focus on the customer has also helped create an award-winning and much-loved brand, with exceptional customer satisfaction ratings, a Trustpilot score of 9.6, and a Net Promoter Score of 70.
A recent recipient of British business’ highest award, ‘The Queen’s Award for Enterprise’, MOO has also been profiled in the Financial Times, was ranked in the top 10 UK start-up companies by the Guardian Newspaper, and as part of ‘Future 50’, is considered one of the fastest growing and most disruptive technology companies in the UK.
MOO is headquartered in London, with six offices across the UK and USA, employing a passionate, values-driven team of 600 people, committed to fulfilling its purpose and mission.
MOO has raised just £11m in venture capital from Tier 1 investors Local Globe, Index Ventures and Accomplice.
Design at MOO
Design sits at the very heart of MOO’s purpose: ‘Great Design For Everyone’.
Recognising that professional design can be expensive, exclusive and out of reach for most people, MOO seeks to use technology to help make professionally designed products more accessible for everyone, everywhere.
It is design and design-led thinking that differentiates MOO in the market, it informs everything the company does as a fundamental part of the DNA.
Print is a 1 trillion dollar market, undergoing massive disruption. As the world becomes more digital, well-designed, premium print products become more precious and more valuable, creating a huge design-led opportunity for the business.
To reflect the importance of design to the company, MOO is creating a new Executive Team role dedicated to design: the Chief Design Officer (‘CDO’).
As the business grows the CDO will help bring design-led thinking to everything MOO does. They will be MOO’s design champion, both internally and externally, and the role will be a combination of team leader, individual contributor and influencer to the whole organisation, as well as acting as a design voice and inspiration for MOO’s 1m+ creative customers.
The CDO will ensure that MOO continues to make useful and wonderful products; delivered through a delightful user experience that is completely in tune with best practices, brand standards, customer needs and the short and long term revenue opportunities these present.
Working closely with Customer Strategy, Customer Insights, Product Marketing, Product Management and other Commercial Teams, the CDO will directly manage both the Physical Product Design Team and the Experience Design (EXD) Team.
MOO’s Chief Design Officer will help shape the wonderfully tactile future of print in a digital world, bringing user-centred design and creative thinking to everything MOO does.
- Reports directly to the CEO, Richard Moross
- Sits on the Executive Team
- Leads Physical Product Design
- Leads Experience Design (ExD)
Responsibilities will include:
- Defining the long term physical product design strategy, which will involve developing new product categories and product opportunities
- Building a robust design culture within MOO which balances the qualititative and quantitative measures
- Driving the delivery of all new physical products, which will involve sourcing and introducing new materials, developing new packaging and product formats
- Defining the long term digital design strategy and MOO’s future web experience
- Leading the ExD function to work in concert with Product Management, Technology and Commercial Teams to deliver the Product Roadmap
- Prototyping new ideas and opportunities for the business
- Expanding MOO’s intellectual property portfolio (which already includes Patents and Design Registrations)
The successful candidate will…
- Already be a design thought leader who can demonstrate a depth of design experience, working in senior design roles
- Have great taste and will be a highly articulate design communicator
- Have managed small but highly effective and influential teams
- Have experience with physical product development, and can demonstrate a track record of bringing new innovative and highly successful products to market
- Have worked in complex, multi-disciplinary digital environments, with lots of momentum and constant evolution
- Have been involved in creating new intellectual property
- Is a credible and confident speaker with a passion for design
- Be very comfortable leading change through influence
The Importance of Diversity to MOO
MOO strongly believes that diversity of experience, perspectives and backgrounds will consistently lead to a better workplace for the MOO team and a better product for our customers.
MOO does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected class.
We are actively working to create a diverse and inclusive team.