Team Lead (Python / React) - Customisation
Technology & Product – Tech Management /
Perm - Full-time
MOO set out to shake up the world of print back in 2006. And we’ve come a long way since. Today we’re a 500 + strong team (we’re thinking of getting matching jackets) who create print and digital products for companies of all sizes – from Google and AirBnB to the guy who makes those amazing prints you found at a craft fair.
Our global HQ is in London, UK, while we also have premises in Dagenham. In the US, you’ll find us in Boston, MA, as well as Providence and Lincoln, RI and Denver, CO. And we’re still growing! That’s where you come in.
The Build team focuses on the product customization tools and continuously evolves services to improve the user experience.
MOO is seeking a hands on engineering leader who is passionate about software delivery, performance and best practises. The team lead is to join the company’s Core team and will line manage a small team of 3 to 4 people.
This is an exciting leadership role for a Team Lead who is passionate about tech and building a strong team. This person agrees that people are at the core of successful teams, and has a focus on software delivery performance and high quality code whilst encouraging the adoption of strong engineering practises and principles.
The successful candidate will report to one of our Engineering Directors and work closely with a small team of engineers and engineering leadership.
- Delivery, communication and coordination of work in the team
- Being hands-on at least 50% of your time and work alongside the engineers
- Line managing three or four software engineers in one team, including hiring, performance management
- Continually implementing and improving high quality & reliable software to delight our internal and external customers
- Focus on software delivery performance through team specific metrics (inspired by e.g. accelerate)
- Pragmatic understanding and decision making to achieve company targets - you can translate the impact of decisions to the team.
- Lead the team in activities like prioritisation, running roadmap sessions. Facilitate decision making forums such as planning and grooming.
- Troubleshoot and debug issues across multiple services, domain boundaries and languages
- Use “systems thinking” to build new services that take data from a variety of other services
- Contribute to your team via pair programming, code reviews and team demos
- Collaborate with other engineers, across teams, on a variety of projects
- The person we appoint to this role will be an experienced engineer, fan of agile and lean practises, passionate about tech and keen to line manage people in one small team. To be considered for the role, you’ll need to show you are:
- Passionate about people and teams
- A good mentor and coach for engineers
- An hands-on senior engineering experience in Python, React and SASS
- Delivery focussed - keeping our internal and external customers in mind
- Open, honest and proactive in communicating to your team, colleagues and leadership and are comfortable working with stakeholders in working groups
What’s it like to work at MOO?
MOO’s the kind of workplace where you can really be yourself. Dye your hair purple. Hit the sofa with your laptop. Whatever helps you feel comfortable and happy at work. We want to help you grow in your career and set you up for success – while also recognising the importance of a healthy work/life balance.
That’s why we offer 25 days holiday rising by one day for each year here (for 5 years), a matched pension scheme, MOO’s share option scheme, and paid parental leave. We’ll offer you private healthcare, life insurance, a season ticket loan, subsidised gym membership and a cycle to work scheme. Finally, we’ll treat you to breakfast and fresh fruit every day, lunch on Fridays and all the ice cream you can eat (just watch for the brain freeze).
We are working hard to create a representative, inclusive and super-friendly team, because we know that different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make for a better workplace. And that creates a better experience for our customers. MOO doesn’t discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected class.