Operations Manager (Manufacturing)
Operations – Manufacturing Operations
Perm - Full-time
Welcome to MOO – our purpose is simple: great design for everyone. Want to join us? We’re award-winning, design-led, technology-driven and powered by some pretty awesome people. You might be one of them.
We set out to shake up the world of print back in 2006. And we’ve come a long way since. Today we’re a 500-strong team (we’re thinking of getting matching jackets) who create print and digital products for companies of all sizes – from Google and AirBnB to the guy who makes those amazing prints you found at a craft fair.
Our global HQ is in London, UK, while we also have premises in Dagenham. In the US, you’ll find us in Boston, MA, as well as Providence and Lincoln, RI and Denver, CO. And we’re still growing! That’s where you come in.
The Operations Manager is responsible for a three shift operation ensuring on-time delivery of best-in-class products to our customers, maintaining a safe, cost effective facility and engaged workforce. This role will lead cross-functional projects inclusive of Business Intelligence, Software Engineering, Product, Supply Chain and other teams to ensure maximum performance within manufacturing operations. S/he will drive successful launches of new products, initiatives, processes and equipment across the facility.
This role reports to the Director of Manufacturing and will be a salaried role.
- Manage manufacturing leadership staff, including but not limited to supervisors and senior supervisors across three shifts; continuing to strengthen operations organization.
- Coach, counsel and teach the team to manage workflow and coordinate manufacturing personnel; ensure teams plan and meet schedule.
- Ensure an engaged workforce and institute initiatives to increase morale.
- Ensure operations meets KPIs and Key Results related to Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost and Morale (SQDCME); continue to develop and refine KPIs and drive a data analytic mentality.
- Coordinate cross-functional efforts to resolve manufacturing and quality problems, resuming operations in a timely manner.
- Understand and us "Theory of Constraints" to improve performance and reduce time at bottleneck.
- Ensure proper load balancing and sequencing from press to dispatch.
- Ensure all Sale Periods are supported cross-functionally and planned successfully yo meet all KPIs; support S&OP process.
- Be key stakeholder in DFMA process; drive operations voice from start to launch of any new initiative that will impact facility.
- Partner with Manufacturing Engineering and Quality teams to drive strong product performance and manufacturing operations; ensure best-in-class quality and FPY.
- Monitor and reduce reworks/reprints; help reduce scrap or all materials and products.
- Ensure maximum efficiency with set labor staffing plans; allocate resources properly.
- Lead cost improvement and savings measures for operations; ensure all labor hour budgets are met; minimize overtime.
- Work with the facilities and maintenance teams to monitor progress and completion of maintenance, preventative maintenance and all equipment resolutions.
- Ensure operations actively engages with safety initiatives and ensures all requirements and policies are observed; develop new solutions to create a safer environment.
- Oversee the launch of new products, initiatives, processes and equipment; partner with manufacturing engineering and process improvement coordinator.
- Partner with supply chain to ensure optimal material handling support, inventory control and cost effective logistics.
- Determine machine/process capacities with process improvement coordinator; monitor and improve uptime and productivity as needed.
- Ensure strongest customer experience; partner with customer service and customer experience teams to define and maintain strongest levels.
- Partner with software engineering and product teams to develop optimal tools as needed for manufacturing success.
- Ensure optimal partnerships and workflows with PSPs; negotiate to receive reasonable costs
- Ensure constant professional and career development for team members.
Essential Skills and Attributes:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Science, Math or related technical fields.
- Five years of experience in manufacturing or production
- Demonstrated troubleshooting. analytical and planing skills
- Experience collecting and analyzing data to measure program performance
- Experience improving business and engineering processes
- Experience working with material handling and supply chain teams
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated strong communication skills (written and verbal) to all levels of the organization
- Solid working knowledge of quality systems within manufacturing
- Experience working with global teams
- Experience working with technology and software teams
- Experience working with business intelligence teams
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Experience working in a company that has scaled
- Flexible and adaptable to change; can handle pressure in a calm manner
Preferred Skills and Attributes:
- Six Sigma Certified
- Masters in Engineering, Engineering Management, Operations or Business Administration
- Five years of experience as a process engineer, demonstrated experience owning production processes and improving process capability
- Experience interacting with OEMs; experience interacting with an external supply base
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
What’s it like to work at MOO? MOO’s a workplace where you can be yourself. Dye your hair purple. Take your laptop to the sofa. Whatever helps you feel comfortable and happy at work. We want to do whatever we can to help you grow in your career (and make your home life fulfilling too).
That’s why we offer 23 days’ PTO plus Federal holidays, a 401(k) match, paid parental leave and we’ll cover 100% of your health, dental and vision care premiums. We’ll also cover you with life insurance and long-term disability insurance, and we offer a wellness program too. Finally, we’ll treat you to breakfast and fresh fruit every day, lunch on Fridays and all the ice cream you can eat (just watch for the brain freeze).
We work hard to create a representative, inclusive and super-friendly team, because we know that different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make for a better workplace. And that creates a better experience for our customers. MOO doesn’t discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected class.