Senior Operations Engineer
Technology & Product – Operations Engineering /
Perm - Full-time
MOO set out to shake up the world of print back in 2006. And we’ve come a long way since. Today we’re a 300 + strong team (we’re thinking of getting matching jackets) who create print and digital products for companies of all sizes – from Google and AirBnB to the guy who makes those amazing prints you found at a craft fair.
Our global HQ is in London, UK, while we also have premises in Dagenham. In the US, you’ll find us in Boston, MA, as well as Lincoln, RI and Denver, CO.
We’re making new and exciting things – and we could really do with your help.
Our Platform team works closely with all of our tech teams, and other departments to make sure our customers have the best possible experience. Right now we’re looking for for an Senior Operations Engineer to join this growing team.
You’ll have hands-on experience of building and maintaining large-scale projects within Technical Operations as well as commercial experience of working with Docker, Kubernetes, and Ansible. We’re firm believers in Infrastructure as Code and we expect you to be too.
As a keen collaborator you’ll enjoy working with the larger Platform team as well as many different software development teams. You’ll enjoy mentoring more junior members of the team and will contribute to our collaborative team culture.
You will actively seek to improve process, tooling, and architecture of the underlying MOO infrastructure and capabilities.
You’ll work closely with our Engineering crews, Print Operations, Desktop Support and Services Organisations to manage MOO’s infrastructure, and to help us build up and roll out a Kubernetes PaaS with focus on resilience, performance and efficiency.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Together with your team you will be responsible for keeping MOO systems up and running 24/7.
- You’ll effectively investigate, resolve and mitigate service-impacting events as part of operations on-call rotation.
- You’ll be a key person helping to roll-out a Kubernetes PaaS to all software development teams. This will involve technical training, improvements to process and tooling, as well as extending our comprehensive monitoring and alerting solution.
- You’ll work with Tech Leads and Architects to define and implement our operations procedures and best practices for our customer-facing systems.
- Benchmarking, analyzing, and reporting will be your tools to identify opportunities for operational improvements. You’ll collaborate with the Platform team, and the business to deliver on these opportunities.
- Leading by example, you will be mentoring and helping out more junior members of the Platform Operations team.
- We’re an agile team using Kanban. We expect you to contribute to the team culture and help us keep things functional, and fun!
- Experience working in a linux environment
- Experience with DevOps culture and processes
- Experience of working in an Infrastructure as code environment
- Experience supporting development teams
- Familiar with a Docker ecosystem
Nice to Haves
- University Degree in Computer Science
- Experience of using Test Driven Development practices
- A good understanding of agile software development practices
- Familiarity with Java and/or Python development languages
- Experience creating build pipelines in a CI tool
- Previous experience working for an e-commerce business
- Some knowledge of monitoring and alerting technologies
What’s it like to work at MOO?
MOO’s the kind of workplace where you can really be yourself. Dye your hair purple. Hit the sofa with your laptop. Whatever helps you feel comfortable and happy at work. We want to help you grow in your career and set you up for success – while also recognising the importance of a healthy work/life balance.
That’s why we offer 25 days holiday rising by one day for each year here (for 5 years), a matched pension scheme, MOO’s share option scheme, and paid parental leave. We’ll offer you private healthcare, life insurance, a season ticket loan, subsidised gym membership and a cycle to work scheme. Finally, we’ll treat you to breakfast and fresh fruit every day, lunch on Fridays and all the ice cream you can eat (just watch for the brain freeze).
We are working hard to create a representative, inclusive and super-friendly team, because we know that different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make for a better workplace. And that creates a better experience for our customers. MOO doesn’t discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected class.