Senior Software Engineer
Buyagift – Technology /
Buyagift and Red Letter Days are the UK’s leading gift experience provider. Our core focus is to deliver happiness to our customers, suppliers, team and retail partners, we aim to do this by providing industry leading products. The iconic Red Letter Days brand was added to our portfolio in November 2017, and we are extremely proud to be part of the Moonpig Group since July 2022.Our people are a fundamental driver of our success. We place great importance on nurturing exceptional people as we firmly believe that our competitive advantage stems from the capabilities and potential of our workforce. Our People team helps to drive those efforts across the business.
Senior Software Engineer (Booking Team)
Reports to: Software Engineering Manager
Location: Hybrid working, with 40% office based at Farringdon, London EC1R
First a bit about the role:
The Booking team at Buyagift and Red Letter Days is responsible for powering the seamless redemption process of vouchers across a multitude of services, from spa bookings to theatre experiences. We work with a broad array of technologies, including Azure, Terraform, TypeScript, C#, .NET Core, React, MobX, Storybook and more. We are passionate about creating intuitive and efficient booking journeys with responsive designs and robust back-end structures.
We are currently looking for a Software Engineer to join our dynamic team. You will have the notable chance to work on various exciting projects including the refreshed Hotel booking journey featuring a brand new UI using React, and an entirely new Gourmet booking journey which will entail building new APIs and integrating with new 3rd party suppliers.
In this role, you will be responsible for maintaining, updating, and developing new features for our software applications. This includes both back-end and front-end development tasks, with a special focus on improving the user experience. You will also work closely with the rest of the team and stakeholders to understand requirements, design new features, and ensure the high quality of our delivered solutions. You'll collaboratively help to maintain and improve our shared React Component library, and contribute to creating effective, efficient and secure serverless solutions.
A bit more about the role:
- Lead Development Across the Full Stack: Your expertise in both front-end and back-end development tasks will be crucial in driving development. This includes leading the design, coding, testing, and support of applications, such as our Hotel and Gourmet booking journeys.
- Enhance User Journeys: Your role will include taking a proactive role to refine and improve user journeys by working closely with our Product Manager and design team. This could involve masterminding a new user interface in React, improving the efficiency of an API call, or innovating new strategies for a smooth user experience.
- Project Management: Your ability to manage tasks effectively across multiple projects will be essential. Be prepared to seamlessly transition between different aspects of our projects, such as integrating with new APIs or developing new features or functionalities.
- Collaborative Leadership: You will be leading collaborations on the shared React Component Library to improve and extend it with new UI components when necessary.
- Mentorship and Growth: We value self-improvement and knowledge sharing; hence, you'll be providing mentorship to junior team members fostering a culture of growth for everyone involved.
- Performance Analysis: Part of your responsibilities will include conducting detailed software performance analyses and carrying out necessary optimisations to ensure our applications run at their best.
- Implement and Direct Serverless Solutions: Given that a significant part of our infrastructure exists on Azure, your role in orchestrating the development and maintenance of our serverless computing solutions on this platform is pivotal.
- Agile Leadership: As we work in a fast-paced, agile environment, you will be expected to take an active role in agile ceremonies including sprint planning, daily stand-ups, retrospectives, guiding the team in agile methodologies.
- Enhanced Security: Your advanced understanding of the security implications of software development will be critical. We expect you to prioritise security throughout the development lifecycle, advocating for best practice and leading by example.
In the Senior Software Engineer role, your contribution will be instrumental in maintaining the integral role our team plays in the company and making sure that customers enjoy a smooth booking experience.
And now a bit about you:
- Experience: You have at least 6-9 years of experience in full-stack development, with a considerable amount of this time spent working on both front-end and back-end systems utilising a range of the technologies we use (Azure, Terraform, TypeScript, C#, .NET Core, React, Azure Functions, Azure Devops Pipelines, SQL Server, Application Insights).
- Skills: You possess a thorough understanding of React with proven skills in C# and .NET Core on the back-end.
- Proficiency in our Toolset: You are not merely familiar with but proficient in SQL Server and Azure for hosting and serverless solutions. You're adept with Azure DevOps Pipelines for CI/CD and possess a comprehensive understanding of application monitoring using tools like Application Insights.
- Problem-Solver: Your role as a natural problem-solver combined with being a senior team member requires a proactive and devoted approach. Your curiosity drives you to delve into software issues, dissect how applications function, and subsequently devise innovative and efficient solutions.
- Collaborative Leader: You possess the acumen for leading others through collaboration. You believe that advocacy for collective achievement enhances functionality within cross-functional teams and can add great value through the facilitation of open communication channels.
- Continuous Learning: Your commitment to fostering an environment of continuous learning is a core capability. You remain abreast of new technologies and the latest industry trends, and delight in sharing that knowledge with your team.
We live by our company core purpose of Delivering Happiness – Amazing People. We only hire amazing people like you, if this is you and if this sounds like the opportunity you have been looking for, we would love to hear from you.
For everyone in the UK to create unique memories that last a lifetime
To be the most trusted platform in the UK gift experience market
Our Commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity
We’re committed to creating an inclusive and caring culture with amazing people who feel a real sense of belonging. We welcome and celebrate all diverse backgrounds - from working parents who need flexibility with their hours, individuals who are neurodiverse and prefer to work a certain way to those from underrepresented communities. We’re proud to have an employee-led group pushing the agenda on all things inclusive. And we will continue to strive for diversity and that sense of belonging so that each and every one of our team have a safe and comfortable environment in which they can be themselves and thrive at work.