Head of Data Science & Product Analytics
Analytics – Data Science /
Work with us
At Moonpig Group our mission is to help people connect and create moments that matter. We’re an international group made up of three brilliant brands – Moonpig in the UK, Ireland, US and Australia, and Greetz in the Netherlands – with our newest addition Buyagift joining us in 2022.
We were founded with a goal to disrupt the traditional greetings industry. Two decades on, we’re an established leader within the online gifting market, offering a wide range of products to customers across the world.
Moonpig is an iconic brand and innovator, with clear values (read more about our values here!). These values set our teams and our business up for success in an environment that’s fun, supportive and challenging. They’re the glue that binds us together and we think of them as a platform to help us deliver our best work. You have every chance to drive impact here at Moonpig, and most importantly, we genuinely want you!
Our architecture is built for scale and flexibility which will allow us to quickly innovate and launch new propositions - coupling that with the wealth of data we have on our customers, the sky's the limit in the world of experimenting with cutting edge ideas.
What You’ll Be Doing
As the Head of Data Science & Product Analytics at Moonpig, you will be a key leader in our Data Team. You will play a pivotal role in shaping our product and data strategy, enhancing customer experience, and optimising business operations through the use of data-driven insights, advanced analytics and machine learning. You will lead a talented team of data scientists and analysts, working collaboratively with cross-functional departments to make informed decisions that drive growth and innovation.
- Team Vision - You will ensure the success of both Data Science and Product Analytics. Build a long term vision, and establish the steps that will get us there.
- Engagement of Senior Management - You’ll package vision, upcoming plans, and recent activities into digestible formats for the Senior Leadership Team. Ensuring they are brought into the workflows, consulted on key decisions, and updated on general progress.
- Technical Lead - Working with Data Scientists and Machine Learning Ops Engineers you’ll determine the best technical approach for each initiative. You’ll help ensure we strike the balance between scalability, delivery effort and effectiveness, while fostering collaboration with partner teams for smooth integration.
- Cross-functional Collaboration - Working closely with the teams across the organisation, ensuring effective communication, coordination, prioritisation and resource allocation.
- Automation and Scalability - Identify opportunities across Data to automate and improve processes, or to functionalise libraries for efficiency gains. Keep abreast of changing best practices in data, campaigning for the use of new platforms where applicable.
- Team Leadership - Manage and mentor a team of product analysts and data scientists, fostering a collaborative and results-driven culture. Provide guidance, feedback, and professional development opportunities to enhance individual and team performance.
- Analytics Upskilling - Simplify / document / provide training on data science methodologies, enabling the wider data team to incorporate more machine-driven methodologies into their outputs.
- Statistics Expert - Act as the business’ statistics expert, ensuring sound statistical principles are adhered to within the data function and more broadly, within experimentation.
What does success look like:
- Data Science continues to be a major source of growth for the business, by adding new algorithmically-driven features and iterating on existing ones.
- The Product Analytics team drives greater insight and direction to the Product team, through automation, process improvements and rigorous project prioritization.
- The wider business is aware of the capabilities and deliverables of both functions, with key individuals suitably consulted and brought in.
- The teams are motivated, high-performing, highly-engaged.A larger number of analytics problems being solved with machine learning approaches, either by the data-science teams directly, or the broader data function
You’ll be a great addition to the team if you:
- Significant experience managing Data-Science teams, ideally with some exposure to product analytics and experimentation statistics within an ecomm setting.
- An eye for an opportunity, both in the commercial and organisational sense. You should have a proven track record in delivering business value, through initiatives you have identified. You should be able to demonstrate your ability to think strategically and develop effective roadmaps to align with business goals. A pragmatic delivery style; a good sense of the right level of effort a given project needs, with the ability to foster that mindset within your team.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, an ability to present complex information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner, and strong storytelling skills to effectively communicate insights and recommendations to stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong technical and statistical skills, with the ability to interpret complex data sets, derive actionable insights, and deliver robust productionalised processes. Proficiency in SQL, Python (or similar), ideally with some exposure to data visualisation tools, ideally platform.
- Are adaptable, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with changing priorities.
- You should have proven experience in leading and developing high-performing teams, the ability to motivate and inspire team members towards achieving common goals, and strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence to collaborate effectively across cross-functional teams.
Want to hear more?
Find out more about Moonpig Group and what it has to offer here!
Moonpig’s Commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity
At Moonpig Group, we’re committed to creating an inclusive and caring culture with brilliant people who feel a real sense of belonging. We welcome and celebrate all diverse backgrounds to Moonpig Group, from working parents who need flexibility with their hours to individuals who are neurodiverse and prefer to work a certain way.
We’re proud to have several employee-led committees within our organisation, including the LGBTQ+ Committee, The Gender Balance Committee and our Moonpig Against Racism Committee.
We’ll continue to push for diversity and that sense of belonging so that all Moonpig Group employees feel safe and comfortable to be their true authentic self at work.