Technology – Tech Foundations /
Our Future of Remote Working:
Here at Moonpig our people come first. As we grow and the world around us changes, we understand that we’ll need to adapt, which means that our ways of working will always remain dynamic. So while we plan to go back to the office in September, we won’t be returning the same way that we left back in March 2020. We’ve mastered the art of remote onboarding and are excited to introduce bespoke remote working options for all employees. And yes that’s exactly what it sounds like – if you want to work from home for 1-4 days a week or prefer a fully remote role, we’ll support what works best for you.
Moonpig Group achieved ‘Unicorn’ status in one of the biggest tech IPOs of 2021, making the FTSE 250 index of leading companies listed on the London Stock Exchange with a market cap of £1.5 billion. We’re now growing the team to work towards an even more ambitious goal of reaching 25 million customers.
To help get us there, we’ll be developing some cool tech innovations. Two projects we’ll bring to life this year include augmented reality/video cards and pre-personalisation; the latter aiming to provide a richer browsing experience for our customers via the automatic translation of customer data into personalised cards and gifts across multiple galleries.
But the magic does not stop there. Our architecture is built for scale and flexibility which will allow us to quickly innovate and launch new propositions -- coupling that with the wealth of data we have on our customers, the sky's the limit in the world of experimenting with cutting edge ideas.
Moonpig is a hidden gem in terms of our culture. Check out our 4.7 rating on Glassdoor as well as info about our tech culture and benefits for a view on how great it is to work here!
What You’ll Be Doing
Challenging the status quo and pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved will be key to Moonpig as we take on some of the largest and most impactful technical projects we have ever faced. As a result we are looking for engineering managers with experience in supporting and growing teams and building large scale, distributed systems to help us do this successfully. It’s a highly impactful role in a fantastic company with a great culture.
As an EM at Moonpig, you will be responsible for developing our talent through hiring, mentoring, coaching and carrying out performance reviews. You will support Engineers in reaching both their career goals and the objectives of Moonpig. You will have a hands on approach to planning and successfully executing the delivery of projects, ensuring technical best practice, with focus on mid to long term planning through collaboration with the Product Managers.
As an Engineering Manager, we have the following three big expectations:
- Building culture: “Culture eats process for breakfast” and we wholeheartedly believe this. As an engineering manager you are responsible for fostering a growth culture and contributing to our management best practices. You help us become an exceptional place to work for the ambitious, highly motivated people we hire. Your team of engineers are responsible for various services and you advocate the mantra “You build it, you run it”. At the end of the day, you have a massive influence on our overall engineering quality and culture and you actively work to continuously improve this.
- People progression: As an engineering manager you are also expected to focus on the progression of people. Fifty percent of your time will be focussed on coaching, 121’s, mentoring and driving a high performance engineering culture. You need to be empathetic towards an individual's needs and ensure we support and grow our engineers. You’ll identify which skill sets are required for the successful delivery of projects, coaching or recruiting engineers to cover any skill shortages.
- Driving good engineering: As an engineering manager you’ll lead by example, demonstrating best practises, working with your engineers through regular pairing sessions or providing technical leadership to help deliver new features, ensuring that the design and development of our systems adhere to good engineering principles.
You'll be a good fit for this role if you:
- Are experienced in .NET, but you’re happy to work across multiple languages and ecosystems. We use TypeScript so knowledge/experience in this would be a bonus.
- Have experience with CI/CD and own your code from build through deployment to production support and monitoring.
- Feel passionate about building robust and performant cloud/serverless applications, with a focus on user experience and business growth.
- Enjoy being part of a full-stack, cross-functional team, working closely with people of different specialisms within your team and across the business.
- Are willing to challenge your own ideas; to try, fail, learn and repeat. You encourage others to do the same.
- Have an awareness of web application and cloud security and will collaborate effectively with our internal security team.
Our tech environment:
- AWS, Serverless, Terraform, Node.js, TypeScript, C#, .NET Core, GraphQL, React.
- GitHub for SCM, CI/CD through GitLab pipelines.
- Robust and performant cloud/serverless applications, with a focus on user experience and business growth.
- Full-stack, cross-functional teams owning the whole software development lifecycle from discovery to delivery.
- We don’t expect you to have experience with all of the technologies above. Some of our product teams use .Net Core and others use Node.js/Typescript, so if you have experience in either, along with cloud/serverless experience, please apply!
Want to hear more?
Take a look at our Moonpig Attraction Deck where you can hear more about our awesome perks and benefits as well as a culture to boot.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity and value diversity regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, pregnancy, maternity, disability, or gender identity.