Engineering Manager - Developer Experience
London/Manchester (Hybrid) /
All Technology – Technology /
Our Ways of Working:
We believe that we do our best work when we are together, but also appreciate that everyone works in different ways. That’s why we operate with three working models which look to define where and how our people work - Remote, Hybrid, Site/Office - based.
Although we believe the majority of our people will choose our hybrid working model (at least 2 days in the office each week), for some of our teams that don't require as much in-person connection and collaboration, we offer fully remote working (with paid travel to the Moonpig office up to 6 times per year). Remote roles are specified directly on our job adverts
At Moonpig Group our mission is to help people connect and create moments that matter. We’re currently growing the team to work towards an even more ambitious goal of reaching 25 million customers. To help get us there, we’ll be developing some cool tech innovations and are currently looking to hire an Engineering Manager for our Developer Experience Team.
What You’ll Be Doing
As an Engineering Manager of the Developer Experience team you'll have the opportunity to shape the future of software development at Moonpig. As an integral part of our organisation, you will lead a talented team of engineers dedicated to improving the developer experience and empowering our community of developers.
In this role, you will be responsible for cultivating a high-performing team, fostering a culture of collaboration and continuous learning. Your expertise in software engineering combined with your strong leadership skills will drive the team to deliver exceptional results. You'll work closely with other cross-functional engineering teams across the department, to develop and execute strategies that enhance developer productivity, efficiency, and satisfaction.
As an Engineering Manager, you'll guide your team in building cutting-edge tools, frameworks, and platforms to streamline the development process. You'll advocate for best practices, mentor team members, and promote a culture of innovation, quality, and reliability.
This is an excellent opportunity to be at the forefront of shaping the Developer Experience landscape. If you're passionate about creating exceptional experiences for developers, thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, and possess a strong technical background along with leadership skills, we invite you to join our team and make a lasting impact on how developers build and create.
As an Engineering Manager, we have the following three big expectations:
- Building culture: “Culture eats process for breakfast” and we wholeheartedly believe this. As an engineering manager you are responsible for fostering a growth culture and contributing to our management best practices. You help us become an exceptional place to work for the ambitious, highly motivated people we hire. Your team of engineers are responsible for various services and you advocate the mantra “You build it, you run it”. At the end of the day, you have a massive influence on our overall engineering quality and culture and you actively work to continuously improve this.
- People progression: As an engineering manager you are also expected to focus on the progression of people. Fifty percent of your time will be focussed on coaching, 121’s, mentoring and driving a high performance engineering culture. You need to be empathetic towards an individual's needs and ensure we support and grow our engineers. You’ll identify which skill sets are required for the successful delivery of projects, coaching or recruiting engineers to cover any skill shortages.
- Driving good engineering: As an engineering manager you’ll lead by example, demonstrating best practices, working with your engineers through regular pairing sessions or providing technical leadership to help deliver new features, ensuring that the design and development of our systems adhere to good engineering principles.
You'll be a good fit for this role if you:
- Have experience with CI/CD and own your code from build through deployment to production support and monitoring.
- Feel passionate about building robust and performant applications, with a focus on user experience and business growth.
- Enjoy being part of a full-stack, cross-functional team, working closely with people of different specialisms within your team and across the business.
- Are willing to challenge your own ideas; to try, fail, learn and repeat. You encourage others to do the same.
- Have an awareness of web/app and cloud security and will collaborate effectively with our internal security team.
Want to hear more?
Find out more about Moonpig Group and what it has to offer here!
Moonpig’s Commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity
At Moonpig Group, we’re committed to creating an inclusive and caring culture with brilliant people who feel a real sense of belonging. We welcome and celebrate all diverse backgrounds to Moonpig Group, from working parents who need flexibility with their hours to individuals who are neurodiverse and prefer to work a certain way.
We’re proud to have several employee-led committees within our organisation, including the LGBTQ+ Committee, The Gender Balance Committee and our Moonpig Against Racism Committee.
We’ll continue to push for diversity and that sense of belonging so that all Moonpig Group employees feel safe and comfortable to be their true authentic self at work.