Senior Software Engineer (Platform)
Buyagift – Technology /
Buyagift and Red Letter Days are the UK’s leading gift experience provider. Our core focus is to deliver happiness to our customers, suppliers, team and retail partners, we aim to do this by providing industry leading products. The iconic Red Letter Days brand was added to our portfolio in November 2017, and we are extremely proud to be part of the Moonpig Group since July 2022.Our people are a fundamental driver of our success. We place great importance on nurturing exceptional people as we firmly believe that our competitive advantage stems from the capabilities and potential of our workforce. Our People team helps to drive those efforts across the business.
First a bit about the role:
Looking for a new challenge and to join a team responsible for building new tools with cutting edge technologies?
As part of the Platform team, you will be tasked with not only re-platforming and rebuilding some of the internal tools we use as part of our business daily activities, but also, completely redesigning how we manage, store, and interact with our product catalogue.
We’re incredibly passionate about what we do and supporting every function of the business. Ultimately, we look after what enables other departments to achieve their goals, which makes us the people everyone wants a piece of. It also translates into a wide range of applications that serve different purposes, so you won’t get bored.
As a Senior Engineer, you will help drive the technical decisions and delivery of the projects you are involved in. It’s a highly impactful role with tons of interesting technical problems to solve. You know what good engineering looks like. Your job now is to lead by example and help others achieve the same thing using high levels of empathy.
A bit more about the role:
- Senior Engineers are the lifeblood of BuyAGift, and we set the bar high. For us it’s so much more than just writing good code, it’s about how you enable those around you to do the same.
- You'll have a great technical knowledge base and the experience to know what works and what doesn’t. We expect you to apply these skills in making the right decisions and applying best practices wherever possible.
- You'll be collaborative, inclusive and spreading knowledge wherever possible. People will be looking up to you for technical guidance and part of your role will be to help them on that journey. You will also be responsible for creating the right forums to drive engineering principles and practices across all of engineering. You have the autonomy to drive decisions, but it’s your responsibility to ensure everyone is involved.
- You will be supporting a growth culture (e.g. running lunch & learns, brown bags, etc.) as well as advocating the organisation internally and externally through meetups, blogging, hackathons etc. This is important to us as we are all in this together.
Good engineering comes first.
Technical coaching and leadership.
Culture and advocacy.
And now a bit about you:
- Worked with async and event-driven architectures
- Worked with Logging, Monitoring and Alerting stacks
- You have a good understanding of software engineering architecture principles and best practices
- You have experience with data and relational databases, ideally, handling migration of big sets of data and keeping systems in sync
- Provided coaching and mentorship to other engineers, or are keen on doing it
- You are experienced in C# .NET or .NET Framework, but you’re happy to work across multiple languages and ecosystems.
- You’ve got some experience with the Microsoft Dynamics 365 and power apps ecosystem, that being either developing apps on it or having worked on a project that uses some of its technologies.
- You have experience with CI/CD and own your code from build through deployment to production support and monitoring. We use Azure serverless technologies and Terraform, so knowledge/experience in this would be a bonus.
- You are passionate about building robust and performant cloud/serverless applications, with a focus on user experience and business growth.
- You enjoy being part of a full-stack, cross-functional team, working closely with people of different specialisms within your team and across the business.
- You’re willing to challenge your own ideas; to try, fail, learn and repeat. You encourage others to do the same.
- You have an awareness of web applications and cloud security and will collaborate effectively with our internal security team.
- You have experience in system design or have been part of a team have built something from the ground up
- You’re well versed in Agile methodologies and have worked with SCRUM or Kanban
- You can communicate with external / third party providers and gather requirements
- You have an eye for the details and enjoy improving the existing way of doing things
Our Tech Environment
- Azure Cloud Services (Functions, Data Factory, Service Buses, etc)
- C#, .NET Core & .NET Framework
- We use Azure Devops for our Pipelines and Git for source control
- Microsoft Dynamics365, Dataverse and Power Apps
- SQL Server and Raven DB
- Windows Queues, Scheduled jobs and Quartz
- We use SonarCloud for code quality control
We don’t expect you to have experience with all of the technologies above. As long as you have experience with most of the above and cloud/serverless technologies, please apply!
We live by our company core purpose of Delivering Happiness – Amazing People. We only hire amazing people like you, if this is you and if this sounds like the opportunity you have been looking for, we would love to hear from you.
For everyone in the UK to create unique memories that last a lifetime
To be the most trusted platform in the UK gift experience market
Our Commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity
We’re committed to creating an inclusive and caring culture with amazing people who feel a real sense of belonging. We welcome and celebrate all diverse backgrounds - from working parents who need flexibility with their hours, individuals who are neurodiverse and prefer to work a certain way to those from underrepresented communities. We’re proud to have an employee-led group pushing the agenda on all things inclusive. And we will continue to strive for diversity and that sense of belonging so that each and every one of our team have a safe and comfortable environment in which they can be themselves and thrive at work.