Sr Reporter, HR Brew
New York, NY /
B2B Media /
RECRUITING SCAM ALERT: Scammers are posing as Morning Brew employees and have posted fraudulent jobs on third-party sites. All of our open jobs are posted here on our official careers page, so if it’s not here, it’s not us!
Any outreach by our Talent Acquisition team will come from @morningbrew.com email addresses. Please reach out to email@example.com for additional information.
Morning Brew is a media company that covers the business news and narratives shaping our world. The companies, the people, the workplace, the economy — we nerd out on this stuff, and we’re dedicated to helping our audience navigate it all in a way that informs and entertains.
The Morning Brew team is clever, creative, and growing fast. Want in? Read on.
Over the last decade, the relationship between employee and employer has seismically changed. With societal shifts from the #MeToo, Black Lives Matter, and Stop Asian Hate movements, along with struggling, then coping with COVID-19, how we conduct business has evolved. (Not to mention conversations around pay disparity and harassment.) The team that sits in the middle, the Human Resources department, has had to change, too, by learning new skills, figuring out new software, and understanding how to communicate both top-down and bottom-up.
The shift in how HR is being thought of in organizations impacts all of our lives. Questions such as “How do we create a hybrid work model that works for everyone” and “How do we create an inclusive environment” might not have been asked ten years ago, but are very much in the dialogue today. And those are just two of hundreds of questions we might ask.
We’re looking for a senior reporter to ideate, research, and create journalism to help take this vertical to the next level.
Here’s what you will be working on:
-Pitch, report, and write stories and other associated journalistic endeavors for HR Brew — via newsletter, on-site articles, and other venues of distribution
- Generate ideas for and lead/co-lead creation of non-newsletter editorial initiatives, enterprise pieces, and evergreen content, as we build out a digital home
- Conduct research to support creation of key stories and inform longer-term projects
- 5+ years of reporting experience
- Interest and expertise in business writing and reporting
- Ability to write in the Morning Brew style (engaging, informative, clever)
- Understanding of how to analyze and draw conclusions from structured and unstructured data
- Understanding of how to leverage multiple platforms (email, social media, etc.) to engage with the target audience
- Self-starter attitude with ability to operate in a collaborative, quickly-changing environment
- Combination of attention to detail and creative, strategic thinking
- Excellent communication skills with a mindset for collaboration
- Ability to operate in a high-pressure environment with tight deadlines
What else are we looking for?
Character and integrity rank pretty high on the list. Our team is guided by our core values:
How We Treat Each Other:
• Respectful Candor: We believe that engaging in timely, constructive, and open discourse is an act of respect that makes for a more transparent and productive work environment.
• Empathy: We establish a strong partnership of trust with our co-workers and partners. We build human connections in order to understand each other.
• Inclusivity: We strive to celebrate and welcome people of diverse backgrounds and cultures. Differing perspectives help us make better decisions and have more fulfilling experiences.
How We Treat Our Work:
• Curiosity: We learn every day through deliberate inquiry and exploration. We re-examine assumptions to be a better company, offer better products, and become better colleagues.
• Accountability: We celebrate our successes and own our failures. Taking responsibility for our actions allows us to learn from our experiences.
• Bias Toward Action: We know speed matters in business so we embrace quick and calculated risk-taking. We understand that many actions are reversible and therefore we are solutions-oriented, even when facing obstacles and challenges.
• Challenger Mentality: We don’t allow ourselves to be comfortable with our success. We are hungry to become the best and create more value for our audience.
• Clarity of Purpose: We understand the “why” in our work, which helps us to operate at our highest level of performance and efficiency.
While being surrounded by a bunch of cool people who look great in crewnecks is its own reward, we have plenty more to offer.
🌴 Unlimited sick and vacation time: And by “unlimited,” we mean absolutely unlimited.
🏠 U.S Remote-work friendly: Work from home, work from the office, work from the moon — you decide.
💰 401(k) employer match: We want to help you prepare for the future, now.
⚕️ Premium healthcare plans: Your health matters!
👪 Family planning: Want to join #brewparents? Generous paid parental leave and fertility coverage for eligible employees.
☕️ Employee resource groups: Black Coffee, LGBTQ Brew, AAPI Brew, Cafe Con Leche, and Grounded
🎓 Annual learning credit: Want to learn something new? We'll reimburse you.
Morning Brew is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team that’s representative of our audience.