Director, Business Development
Remote (U.S.) /
Morning Brew is a media company that covers the business news and narratives shaping our world. The companies, the people, the workplace, the economy — we nerd out on this stuff, and we’re dedicated to helping our audience navigate it all in a way that informs and entertains.
The Morning Brew team is clever, creative, and growing fast. Want in? Read on.
The Director, Education Business Development at Morning Brew is an opportunity to help build out the corporate and partner relationships for a new division of Morning Brew. This individual will be responsible for generating and managing a book of business consisting of corporate clients interested and engaged in Morning Brew’s learning products. The entire new and existing business sales cycle for their accounts will be their responsibility from sourcing to nurturing and closing deals. Additionally the Director, Education Business Development is expected to develop and update their expertise in the challenges faced by global businesses in order to fully understand and successfully craft a link between Morning Brew’s education offerings and corporate challenges. While the focus of this position will be on selling B2B programs and services, this individual will also influence partner and collaboration strategies to increase brand awareness and distribution as well as contribute, as needed, in the B2C sales process.
Morning Brew is based in New York City but this role is remote-friendly for all candidates.
Here’s what you’ll be working on:
- Consistently research, identify, and contact individuals and corporations who would be strong prospects for Learning Brew; routine outbound calls and networking pursuits targeting key relationships within and without Morning Brew to develop new leads, qualify those leads, and work the sales cycle to close efficiently and effectively.
- Internalize and successfully convey the value proposition of Morning Brew’s learning programs.
- Manage all facets of the entire sales cycle from identification, to initial qualification, through executed contract.
- Close new business consistently at or above quota level.
- Accurately forecast opportunities and update the CRM.
- Develop a rapport with, and the trust of, clients including ensuring high standards of client interaction and service at all times. Actively listen to clients and develop solutions that satisfy their issues/needs.
- Make compelling and credible verbal, online, and face-to-face presentations to clients at every stage of the sales cycle.
- Prepare and develop proposals for new business and pitch new proposals to prospective clients (often requiring direct contact with those in senior and C-suite roles); work with the GM of Education in order to fully understand costing and pricing models for profitability.
- Working with the GM, Education Identify and pre-qualify possible partnership and collaboration opportunities that would increase brand awareness, credibility, and distribution.
- Occasionally support the community team as needed in conversion strategies for the B2C funnel.
- Assume additional responsibilities as required.
What makes you qualified?
- Requires a minimum of 5+ years of quota carrying/closing sales experience
- Must be well-versed in strategies that will help build trust with a client and move them through the sales cycle
- Must have prior experience selling professional services to CLOs, CHROs, CEOs and other business unit leaders
- Must have superior communication skills which is required in order to communicate, present, assert and speak to all the different stakeholders involved
- Must have experience and strategies that enable cold calling and other prospect generation activities with confidence in order to gain new clients
- Must have exceptional negotiation and closing skills
- Must have strong research and strategic analysis skills which are necessary in order to benchmark the competition and keep the Learning Brew ahead of it
- Must have experience selling high-priced, intangible/conceptual products with long sales cycle
- Must have deep experience in consultative sales and the ability to lead need analysis and provide feedback and leadership in defining client needs
- Must be financially literate in understanding pricing models and hurdles for profitability
- Must be results oriented and achievement driven with the ability to “close” client opportunities
What else are we looking for?
Character and integrity rank pretty high on the list. Our team is guided by our core values:
How We Treat Each Other:
• Respectful Candor -- We believe that engaging in timely, constructive, and open discourse is an act of respect that makes for a more transparent and productive work environment.
• Empathy -- We establish a strong partnership of trust with our co-workers and partners. We build human connections in order to understand each other.
• Inclusivity -- We strive to celebrate and welcome people of diverse backgrounds and cultures. Differing perspectives help us make better decisions and have more fulfilling experiences.
How We Treat Our Work:
• Curiosity -- We learn every day through deliberate inquiry and exploration. We re-examine assumptions to be a better company, offer better products, and become better colleagues.
• Accountability -- We celebrate our successes and own our failures. Taking responsibility for our actions allows us to learn from our experiences.
• Bias Toward Action -- We know speed matters in business so we embrace quick and calculated risk-taking. We understand that many actions are reversible and therefore we are solutions-oriented, even when facing obstacles and challenges.
• Challenger Mentality -- We don’t allow ourselves to be comfortable with our success. We are hungry to become the best and create more value for our audience.
• Clarity of Purpose -- We understand the “why” in our work, which helps us to operate at our highest level of performance and efficiency.
While being surrounded by a bunch of cool people who look great in crewnecks is its own reward, we have plenty more to offer.
Unlimited sick and vacation time: And by “unlimited,” we mean absolutely unlimited.
U.S Remote-work friendly: Work from home, work from the office, work from the moon — you decide.
401(k) employer match: We want to help you prepare for the future, now.
Premium healthcare plans: Your health matters!
Family planning: Want to join #brewparents? Generous paid parental leave and fertility coverage for eligible employees.
Employee resource groups: Black Coffee, LGBTQ Brew, AAPI Brew, Cafe Con Leche, and Grounded... plus more!
Annual learning credit: Want to learn something new? We'll reimburse you.
Morning Brew is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team that’s representative of our audience.