Software Engineer - UI - [Remote]
Remote [US Only]
Product and Engineering
Motiion is a technology and data company for the food industry. We believe in transparency, diversity, merit and fostering a culture of accountability, personal impact and career growth.
As a member of the first engineering team at Motiion you have will have unique opportunity to take products from concept to production as we build towards our goal of becoming the global technology platform for the food industry. You will work on building a B2B product on the front end side while working closely with backend developers. You will work closely with the co-founder team and be part of not just defining and implementing our technology and product strategy, but also the way we work together as we scale our company.
Demonstrated technical impact is a requirement, but management experience is not. We know that great products are built by collaborative individuals, not by managers. We also know that many amazing developers can be excellent managers, but that's often not what they prefer. Motiion values individual technical contribution and strongly believe it’s the key to Motiion’s success. The Motiion technology foundation is currently being designed and the following principles will apply:
JVM based back-end. We believe in the robustness, richness and talent pool of the JVM and its ecosystem.
Statically typed, modern language. Kotlin will be our lingua franca.
Continuous deployment. Master will always be in production, branch time span short, and features under development will be hidden behind feature flags.
Cloud first. We will leverage the differentiated features of the cloud we choose to maximize productivity.
Micro-services. Not for the sake of the buzz, but for the sake of organizational benefits as we scale to achieve sustained, high feature velocity.
Platform first. Motiion is building an open platform for the entire food industry, including third party application developers. We dog-food the APIs we share with our customers and partners.
We are building a team of developers with a breadth of combined experiences so that we can collaboratively build great products. There are no hard requirements on specific educational background, technology, experience or geographical location. We are however looking for specific traits in the people we work with. You might not yet be able to check all of the boxes, but at least you aspire to do so!
Some signs of a great candidate
- Performance recognized by your peers. Past colleagues would love to work with you again.
- Eager learner, careful adopter. New technologies arrive all the time and you are eager to learn about them. You do not, however, replace your entire tool-chain every year.
- Starter and finisher. You often identify a problem, design a solution and bring it to a state of completion - alone or with collaborators. You enjoy software development and recognize that not all tasks can be equally fun. You find ways of eliminating or automating stuff that is uninteresting or wasteful, rather than complaining about them.
- Productive. You are fluent with your toolchain and can deliver well-designed, well-tested production-ready features quickly.
- Work hard and smart. Your work ethic is unquestioned, and you know how to get things done so you can balance your work and personal life in a sustainable way.
- Disciplined and reliable. We are a remote company and you enjoy the benefits of working remotely while consistently delivering what you have committed to. When you hit a snag, you communicate and reset expectations early.
- Collaborative. You know that your team members’ perspectives will make your solutions better. Similarly, you use your strengths to make the team perform.
- Appreciation of honest feedback. You know that the best way to learn and grow is through constructive feedback delivered kindly, but without unnecessary ambiguity. You feedback given to as an opportunity to get better and strive to do the same for others.
- Analytical and practical mind. You strive for simple, precise solutions to complex problems. Complex solutions are only acceptable when absolutely needed.
- Customer focused. User experience trumps everything. You understand that a product will have little value if the customers don't enjoy using it.
- Diligent, but pragmatic. You strive for correct solutions, but know what actually matters and when to make compromises. You know when to ship and when to optimize.
Why we are different
Our main goals with Motiion are easy to explain: We want to build a company that we would like to enjoy spending the rest of our careers in, that has a positive impact on the world and that will outlast us. Achieving these goals will be challenging, but we know we can do it. Here’s why:
A strong founder team
We, the founders, have a proven track record of building successful companies from scratch. We will take all of the amazing and painful experiences of the past and apply them to create a company we all will be very proud of.
The founders have invested $10 million to allow us to focus on building technology and product the right way. Our eyes are on the goals of building a global technology platform. We are laser focused on customer needs, but will make product priorities based on our long-term goals, not short-term revenue.
We believe technology that enables remote work to be better than a corporate office setting is already here and the world of business is just about to catch up. Remote work certainly comes with drawbacks, but the strongly believe the advantages vastly outnumber the disadvantages. Speaking to dozens of experienced remote employees has shown us that the number one obstacle to building a successful remote workplace is doing it half-way by having some people be co-located and some remote. We want the same mode of collaboration for everyone and our team will be working remotely most of the time.
This does not mean that you have to work from home all the time, or at all. Motiion will pay for co-working space if that’s what you prefer. We will also encourage team members that live in the same area to meet up and work together when it makes sense. We will also make sure we all meet regularly for real in-person interaction!
Personal impact of collaborating individuals
We have seen first-hand how corporate culture can devolve into empire building and reporting lines. Motiion will have great managers, but we recognize and value the skills of individual contributors. You can grow your career at Motiion doing the work you love and excel at. Your merit matters, not your title.
We have top notch benefits, matching most of the large US tech companies, including 401k matching, excellent health insurance and a generous vacation policy.