Director of Cell Engineering
Richmond, CA /
Engineering – Hardware /
Moxion is a vertically integrated manufacturer of all-electric mobile power and energy storage solutions. We have developed commercial-scale, powerful, silent, and emissions-free mobile battery stations that are designed to replace traditional diesel generators in most applications today. We’re pioneering mobile energy storage technology, leveraging vertical integration and a software-enabled service model to deliver last-mile electrification for our customers and communities. The Moxion team is a passionate group of humans who care about the environment and disrupting the diesel economy. Come build the first distributed utility with us, propelling the biggest energy transformation of our lifetime.
As our Director of Cell Engineering you will lead a team of engineers responsible for the development, optimization, and implementation of lithium-ion battery cells into a variety of applications. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure the successful integration of battery cells into products, while maintaining a focus on safety, performance, and reliability.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and optimize lithium-ion battery cell designs and materials
- Manage a team of engineers responsible for conducting battery cell testing, analysis, and validation
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including electrical, mechanical, and software engineers to integrate battery cells into Moxion’s products
- Develop and manage budgets and timelines for battery cell qualification projects
- Stay up-to-date with advancements in battery cell technology and identify opportunities for improvement
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues related to battery cell performance and manufacturing
- Prepare technical reports and presentations for internal and external stakeholders
- Provide technical management and mentorship to the battery cell engineering team
- Drive external vendors to deliver high quality analysis
Skills to be successful:
- Familiarity with battery cell manufacturing processes and equipment, safety regulations, and quality management systems
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, or related field
- Industry experience in lithium-ion battery cell design, integration, and development, with a proven track record of delivering high-quality products
- Experience managing a team of engineers
- The ability to develop plans to meet our goals and empower the team to execute to the plan
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritize tasks effectively
- Strong knowledge of electrochemistry, materials science, and battery cell design principles
- Experience with battery management systems (BMS), safety regulations, and quality management systems (QMS)
- Strong knowledge of lithium ion batteries, their degradation, and failure modes.
- Direct experience in electrochemical techniques such as EIS, GITT, CV, PITT
- Hands-on experience in material characterization: XRD, SEM, TEM, FTIR, GCMS
- Demonstrated experience on cell’s characterization
- Strong knowledge of cell components and their interactions inside the cell
- Hands on building and tearing down cells
- Ability to convey ideas, plans, reports, and information effectively based on the audience
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment to successfully hit our goals
- Problem solving; strong problem solving skills
- Passionate about work in lithium Ion batteries
$186,000 - $250,000 a year
Moxion is committed to the principle of pay equity – paying employees equitably for substantially similar work. Compensation displayed is a range. Maximum amounts are reserved for those candidates that exceed all experience and background requirements. We reserve the right to offer compensation based on level of experience. Moxion has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay within the San Francisco Bay area. If you live outside that region, the range is subject to change.
Base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within the range provided above. This provides the opportunity to progress as you grow and develop within a role.
At Moxion you get
Health, dental, and vision coverage, PTO, competitive equity & compensation packages, free lunch, coffee, and snacks onsite, flexible work from home (for some roles), free tax advisory services, access to Mountain Hardware, Columbia, Sorel, & Prana employee stores and discounts, company swag, investment in professional development courses, and parental leave program.
People are at the core of Moxion’s values. We care about growth for our people and team, and this translates to an open and transparent culture. Moxion believes that diversity is as core to our business as the underlying products and technology we’re developing. Diversity in people leads to diversity of thought and different perspectives to draw from, often resulting in a new or unique way of approaching or solving a problem. Diversity drives innovation.
Moxion is looking for candidates who identify with different races, religions, national origins, age groups, genders, or gender identities, and we don’t discriminate against marital status, physical or mental disability, health or medical conditions, military and veteran status, genetic information, and other classifications that may or may not be protected by law. If you can bring a unique perspective or experience to our company, please apply.
Moxion is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please let our recruiting team know or email HR@moxionpower.com