Firmware Engineer, Middleware
Engineering – Software /
Moxion is a vertically integrated manufacturer of all-electric mobile power and energy storage solutions. We have developed commercial-scale, powerful, silent, and emissions-free mobile battery stations that are designed to replace traditional diesel generators in most applications today. We’re pioneering mobile energy storage technology, leveraging vertical integration and a software-enabled service model to deliver last-mile electrification for our customers and communities. The Moxion team is a passionate group of humans who care about the environment and disrupting the diesel economy. Come build the first distributed utility with us, propelling the biggest energy transformation of our lifetime.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced middleware specialist to join the Firmware team at Moxion Power. You will play a crucial role in developing and leading the implementation of our low level software platform, including the abstraction layers that run on our custom microcontrollers that are responsible for everything from battery management, power conversion to human interface controls. Your expertise will ensure efficient and reliable driver integration, optimization, and functionality across these technologies.
What you’ll do:
- Design, implement, and debug platform-level infrastructure software that will be relied upon by other software team members
- Utilize knowledge in memory management and performance optimization to make design decisions in a resource-constrained application
- Understand and are well-versed in memory management, message queues, message routing, data structures and performance optimization
- Implement general purpose diagnostic, debugging, and fault management frameworks that are testable, abstract and robust
- Develop software and hardware test infrastructure to support safe operation and rapid iteration
- Document software design to aid validation and verification
- Establish software best practices using previous functional safety and team guidelines
- Bridge the gaps between hardware and software, provide advice to the hardware team to bring the best hardware/software abstraction and integration
- You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to define driver requirements and specifications
- Provide technical guidance, mentoring, and support to team members, fostering their professional growth and promoting a collaborative work environment
- Conduct code reviews and ensure adherence to coding standards, best practices, and software quality guidelines.
- Produce well-articulated design documentation to drive alignment within and across teams
Skills to be successful:
- 5+ years of experience with embedded C / C++ programming, and some familiarity with scripting languages like Python.
- Solid understanding of firmware and device drivers, with expertise in Linux kernel architecture and device models.
- Familiarity with low-level hardware interfaces, bus protocols (e.g., SPI, I2C, CAN-FD), and protocols (e.g., Ethernet, PCIe)
- Experience with kernel debugging tools, performance profiling, and optimization techniques.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze and debug complex system-level issues.
- Experience with version control systems (e.g., Git)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate technical concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge or expertise energy, fleet management, or EV industry
- Compensation Range: $150,000-$250,000
Moxion is committed to the principle of pay equity – paying employees equitably for substantially similar work. Compensation displayed is a range. Maximum amounts are reserved for those candidates that exceed all experience and background requirements. We reserve the right to offer compensation based on level of experience. Moxion has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay within the San Francisco Bay area. If you live outside that region, the range is subject to change.
Base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within the range provided above. This provides the opportunity to progress as you grow and develop within a role.
At Moxion you get
Health, dental, and vision coverage, 401K, PTO, competitive equity & compensation packages, free lunch, coffee, and snacks onsite, flexible work from home (for some roles), free tax advisory services, access to Mountain Hardware, Columbia, Sorel, & Prana employee stores and discounts, company swag, and parental leave program.
People are at the core of Moxion’s values. We care about growth for our people and team, and this translates to an open and transparent culture. Moxion believes that diversity is as core to our business as the underlying products and technology we’re developing. Diversity in people leads to diversity of thought and different perspectives to draw from, often resulting in a new or unique way of approaching or solving a problem. Diversity drives innovation.
Moxion is looking for candidates who identify with different races, religions, national origins, age groups, genders, or gender identities, and we don’t discriminate against marital status, physical or mental disability, health or medical conditions, military and veteran status, genetic information, and other classifications that may or may not be protected by law. If you can bring a unique perspective or experience to our company, please apply.
Moxion is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please let our recruiting team know or email HR@moxionpower.com