Senior Associate, Communications & Advocacy
NYC, DC, OAK
M+R is looking for a Senior Associate to join our Communications & Advocacy division.
The right person for this job will have roughly 3-4 years of demonstrated experience in media relations, preferably with some agency and/or advocacy campaign experience. We need a communications know-it-all who considers him or herself a rock star when it comes to advancing clients and causes across online and offline channels.
As a Senior Associate, you’ll be responsible for day-to-day media implementation for M+R nonprofit and foundation clients like American Lung Association, Humanity United, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services, the MacArthur Foundation, Rockefeller Family Fund, and Nuclear Threat Initiative. You should have demonstrated experience securing coverage in local, regional and national outlets as well as developing strategic media materials such as press releases, media advisories, op-eds, editorial board memos and media lists in support of such outreach. Client-facing experience, working across multiple issue areas is a plus, as is experience integrating social media tools and platforms with traditional earned media best practices.
Hey! Are you the one we're looking for?
- Have at least 3 years of professional earned media and communications experience.
- Have a demonstrated ability to execute media strategies and secure results (based on industry standard benchmarks) in top tier national press as well as local, regional and DC/hill media, preferably for more than one client at a time or some other equivalent.
- Can point to successful implementation of one or more public relations or media relations campaigns or programs.
- Can demonstrate contributions to a successful public relations or media relations strategy, including the problem you were trying to solve and the recommendations that made a difference.
- Have experience managing junior staff on the implementation of a PR/media campaign or program.
- Are an avid follower of the news and have a strong understanding of how the press operates.
- Can articulate your ideas both in writing and in meeting presentation.
- Are a collaborative team player who takes (and gives) feedback constructively.
- Set priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Are self-motivated, highly organized, and personable. Actually, you’re kind of awesome and amazing.
Here's what you'll be doing on any given day:
- Serve as the media specialist on accounts, which means driving awareness of our clients and their issues by helping to implement and contribute to earned media strategies and campaigns.
- Contribute to weekly client calls with earned media and other outreach updates, and participate in client presentations as appropriate.
- Help support senior staff with account administration, including making sure agendas are done and circulated, notes are taken and distributed in a timely manner, and weekly/monthly wrap-up reports are accurately completed.
- Produce effective content for earned media outreach, including top-notch writing (e.g., media materials, such as press releases, op-eds, and creative social content).
- Contribute to the development of earned media best practices for the team. Stay abreast of new trends and use that knowledge to inform your work and educate other staff.
Salary, Benefits & Some Perks:
- One of our core values as a firm is that we take care of each other. Every employee shares in our success and in our profits, and we offer a great salary and benefits package:
- Three week’s vacation as well as sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with employer match;Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care and transit;
- Professional development stipend;
- Weekly “beerstorms” where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of non-traditional benefits depending on which office you’re in. Records and record players. Snack breaks. Mannequins. Animatronic ponies. It just gets weirder and cooler and fun-ner from here.
The Fine Print
This position can be located in any of the following M+R offices:
• 11 Park Pl., New York, NY
• 1901 L St. NW, Washington, DC
• 1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please. M+R will only contact candidates to schedule an interview.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. We are strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We love, respect, and welcome you!
M+R is 130 smart people who help nonprofits achieve real, lasting change. We mobilize supporters, raise money, and move the media, the public, and decision-makers. We only work with clients we believe in. We take risks. We work hard. We’re leaders, we’re organizers, and we don’t stop until we win.