Strategist, Online Advocacy
DC, NYC, SF
We’re on the hunt for a real-deal strategist to lead winning issue campaigns for one of the best progressive firms in the do-gooder business.
At M+R, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is awesome. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, dorky/cool people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
- A critical, fearless approach. Every day we say and do the things that must be said and done, even if it’s not always the easiest path.
- Creativity that just won’t quit. We want you to bring your weird, real self to work every day. Not just because it’s fun, but because the craziest idea just might be the thing that works.
So that’s the people. Now, about the work…
- We run online/offline advocacy campaigns. Great big ones you read about in the news and tiny ones you’ve never heard of that are saving lives. Lots of progressive groups working on everything from economic justice to climate change to global poverty — think Planned Parenthood, League of Conservation Voters, PETA, Sierra Club, labor, health groups, etc. We also help amazing nonprofits raise money and build relationships with their supporters, from front-line aid groups like the American Red Cross and Oxfam to cultural institutions like the Smithsonian and Central Park Conservancy.
- You would serve as a Strategist for 3-4 nonprofit clients working on issue advocacy campaigns, providing strategic direction, and managing a crack team of M+R overachievers on each one. You’d be working closely not just with our 50-strong team of online campaigners but also with M+R’s experts in media advocacy, field, coalition building, messaging, social media.
- Day-to-day, you’ll be figuring out how to drive the narrative, influence policy, hold corporations accountable, recruit activists, make the most of news moments, and leave no crazy idea unconsidered that might engage regular people in the world around them.
Here’s what you’ll be doing on any given day:
- Strategize and plan. Work with clients to help conceive winning issue campaigns, from the very beginning stages of an idea, by developing online strategies that complement what’s happening in the press and in the field.
- Run integrated advocacy campaigns. Create and direct both online-only and online/offline strategies that move thousands or millions of people to meaningful action, using every sort of digital marketing imaginable — email, social, digital ads, microsites, big data, tricksy new tools, and good old boots on the ground. Be the fearless leader of 2-4 people on each client team, managing down and up to get done what needs to be done.
- Stretch your creative chops. Develop irresistible action alerts, petitions, social media creative, microsites, video scripts, shareable images, and new forms of media that haven’t been invented yet — all to build movements, not just create noise.
- Grow your people. Manage 2-3 staff, coaching them on their professional development, their overall workload, and their burgeoning skillsets. Devise new systems for our team to share knowledge, create new things, and grow as campaigners. Make the team better than you found it.
- Bring in new work. Identify prospective clients, help develop proposals, and participate in pitch meetings with other M+R staff. Share what we learn with the world through social media, blog posts, speaking engagements, and generally getting yourself out there.
And then there’s you…
- You’re a leader in the movement. You have 8+ years experience benching your share of issue campaigns (and possibly also electoral campaigns) and know what it takes to win — not just get noticed.
- You’re an organizer. You’ve run projects and led teams for as long as you can remember.
- You’ve worked on highly strategic campaigns that have moved the needle.
- You have a deep understanding of the role digital plays in the campaigns of today and tomorrow, but you think across silos. You’ve developed and implemented email, social, and advertising strategies that drive results not just online but in the field and earned media. (You’ve probably also knocked on doors, cut turf, drafted press releases, and herded canvassers at some point.)
- You’ve got enough political chops to work with (and question) seasoned insiders — you don’t need a jingle to remember how a bill becomes a law.
- You see the forest, not just the trees. You can immediately identify the holes in a campaign strategy and think of ways to turn it around.
- You’re constantly evolving the structures and systems that allow you and your teams to do the best possible work.
- You can hold a room…and a conference call. You understand movement and organizational politics, you’ve built consensus among a broad range of stakeholders, and you know when to push hard to point the ship in the right direction.
- You know lots of people who do the stuff we do, and you’re a born collaborator who’s interested in bringing new projects to M+R and moving our work in new directions.
- You’re wildly curious about what’s next, and you’re game to help us get there.
Salary, Benefits, and Some Perks
- One of our core values as a firm is that we take care of each other. Every employee shares in our success and in our profits, and we offer a great salary and benefits package:
- Three weeks’ vacation as well as sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with employer match;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care and transit;
- Weekly “beerstorms” where we cook up our most creative campaign ideas;
- All kinds of non-traditional benefits based on the whims of your weirdo coworkers. Record players and vinyl. Mannequins. Free lunches during crunch times. Freeze-dried fruit snacks from outer space. Animatronic ponies. Drag cats.
The Fine Print
This position can be located in any of the following M+R offices:
• 11 Park Pl., New York, NY
• 1901 L St. NW, Washington, DC
• 100 Bush St., San Francisco, CA (Relocating to Oakland soon!)
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please. M+R will only contact candidates to schedule an interview.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer; people of color, people with disabilities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, sex, marital or parental status, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis prohibited by law.
M+R is 100 smart people who help nonprofits achieve real, lasting change. We mobilize supporters, raise money, and move the media, the public, and decision-makers. We only work with clients we believe in. We take risks. We work hard. We’re leaders, we’re organizers, and we don’t stop until we win.