Digital Organizing Account Executive
DC, BOS, OAK, NYC, Remote /
Digital Organizing /
We’re looking for an Account Executive to join our Digital Organizing Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We are a fast-paced, deadline-driven consulting firm that only works with nonprofit clients who are essential to advancing the cause of justice, alleviating suffering, and solving the greatest challenges we face.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who work collaboratively to get things done and help you do your best.
- An organization that embraces change. We strive to improve and adapt and always seek new ways that we can contribute to a just, inclusive, and sustainable world. We are also continually working on making M+R a better place for our staff.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run innovative and strategic online advocacy, digital organizing, and electoral campaigns that build grassroots power and create lasting change. We partner with progressive groups working on everything from economic justice to climate change to global poverty -- think Planned Parenthood, NRDC, big national unions, racial and economic justice groups, and more. We work exclusively with outside organizations, not candidate campaigns, because our goal is not just to win an election but to build long-term organizing infrastructure that can hold people in power accountable.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to drive the narrative, influence policy, hold corporations and politicians accountable, recruit activists, make the most of news moments, and leave no idea unconsidered that might build power. We have a particular focus on developing new models to mobilize infrequent voters of color. We use every tool and tactic in the book, from social media to digital ads to broadcast and 1:1 SMS to virtual phone banks and relational organizing, integrating as tightly as possible with on-the-ground organizing and media advocacy.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Serve as the overall project manager for our work with the client, making sure all deliverables are on time and managing staff across teams and skill sets as necessary to get the work done to ensure we’re giving the best possible service to our clients.
- Work in a team to help create and drive effective digital organizing campaigns for clients.
- Maintain the client relationship by staying in close contact with clients throughout the day via email and phone, leading weekly check-in calls, and occasionally presenting at strategy meetings.
- Research and identify how to use (or not use) new tools and technology to advance client goals and keep innovating our practice.
- Oversee the drafting and production of broadcast SMS efforts (using tools like Mobile Commons and Strive), peer-to-peer texting (using tools like Hustle and ThruText), and email campaigns (using tools like EveryAction and Action Network).
- Distill SMS, email, web, advertising, and social campaign results into the important lessons that could change how a campaign performs.
- Work directly with client-side field staff, canvass vendors, peer-to-peer texting teams, and other volunteers to facilitate trainings, provide ongoing recommendations, and build relationships.
- Review and/or create agendas, notes, editorial calendars, and data reports for clients.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly, including carefully tracking all of your hours.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 2-4 years of organizing experience that includes direct organizing (e.g. doing 1:1s, coaching volunteers, field canvassing) and using digital tools to engage and mobilize supporters.
- Project management experience holding a variety of stakeholders accountable for important deadlines and materials.
- Experience drafting copy for and/or implementing digital strategies (e.g. email, peer-to-peer texting, broadcast SMS, social, advertising) that drive results online, in the field, and with the media.
- Understanding of messaging best practices for organizing across channels (SMS, email, paid and organic social, websites, phonebanks, on the doors).
- Capability to use spreadsheets and the ability to interpret organizing and digital metrics and translate them into key takeaways.
- Demonstrated ability to run meetings to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively to gain trust and give respect to others through honesty, integrity, kindness, empathy, and authenticity.
- Acute attention to detail and demonstrated ability to prioritize time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills, including learning new technologies.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that feedback is part of the learning process.
- Strong ability to relay your ideas clearly verbally and in writing.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience organizing with marginalized communities utilizing a strong equity lens and nuanced understanding of power dynamics.
- Have worked in an agency setting or at another consulting firm.
- Experience working on electoral and/or voter turnout campaigns.
Salary and benefits:
- This is an exempt, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. The salary for this position is $73,730. As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. Staff at M+R who successfully meet their performance expectations have regular opportunities for promotion with accompanying increases in compensation.
- Three weeks vacation as well as 15 paid sick days and three personal days;
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits with premiums fully paid for by M+R for individual employees;
- 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match and quarterly 1.5% automatic employer contributions;
- Flexible work schedules and the option to work remotely anywhere within the United States and its territories with broadband internet;
- Annual $1,000 professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit.
We also offer a generous benefits package:
The fine print:
M+R staff have the option to be fully remote within the United States, or work from one of the following M+R office locations:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
Staff working from an M+R office are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and all staff will be asked to provide information regarding their vaccine status.
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
Our Hiring Process:
We aim to be transparent and efficient in our hiring process. Each question you will be asked throughout our hiring process ties directly back to one of the skills and experiences listed above. In each interview, you will be asked to provide examples of these skills and experiences or how you would draw on your experience to handle a scenario commonly found at M+R. Our typical hiring process includes:
1) Phone Interview
2) Skills Assessment
3) Video Interview(s)
4) Reference Check
Depending on logistics and scheduling, our hiring process generally takes about 4-5 weeks from phone interview to a job offer. We let candidates know after each step in the process, once we’ve made a decision, whether they are moving forward to the next stage or not, so candidates know the status of their application.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to being an anti-racist, equitable, and inclusive organization where all staff feel welcomed, valued, and empowered, resulting in meaningful, rewarding, and enriching experiences throughout their careers here. We work to center our AEI values in all aspects of our work, so our culture, clientele, policies, and practices are reflective and affirming of people -- inclusive of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, immigration status, citizenship status, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.