Digital Organizing Account Executive
DC, BOS, OAK, NYC, Remote /
Digital Organizing /
We’re looking for an Account Executive to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Digital Organizing Practice Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run innovative and strategic online advocacy, digital organizing, and electoral campaigns that build grassroots power and create lasting change. We work with progressive groups working on everything from economic justice to climate change to global poverty – think Planned Parenthood, NRDC, big national unions, healthcare advocacy groups, and more. Our electoral work exclusively focuses on outside organizations, not candidate campaigns, because our goal is not just to win an election but to build long-term organizing infrastructure that can hold people in power accountable.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to win elections, drive the narrative, influence policy, hold corporations and politicians accountable, recruit activists, make the most of news moments, and leave no idea unconsidered that might build power. We have a particular focus on developing new models to mobilize infrequent voters of color. We use every tool and tactic in the book, from social media to digital ads to broadcast and 1:1 SMS to virtual phone banks and relational organizing, integrating as tightly as possible with on-the-ground organizing and media advocacy.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Serve as the overall project manager for our work with the client, making sure all deliverables are on time and managing staff across teams and skill sets as necessary to get the work done to ensure we’re giving the best possible service to our clients.
- Work in a team to help create and drive effective digital organizing campaigns for clients.
- Maintain the client relationship by staying in close contact with clients throughout the day via email and phone, leading weekly check-in calls, and occasionally presenting at strategy meetings.
- Research and identify how to use (or not use) new tools and technology to advance client goals and keep innovating our practice.
- Oversee the drafting and production of broadcast SMS efforts (using tools like Mobile Commons and Phone2Action), peer-to-peer texting (using tools like Hustle and ThruText), and email campaigns (using tools like EveryAction and Action Network).
- Distill SMS, email, web, advertising, and social campaign results into the important lessons that could change how a campaign performs.
- Work directly with client-side field staff, canvass vendors, peer-to-peer texting teams, and other volunteers to facilitate trainings, provide ongoing recommendations, and build relationships.
- Review and/or create agendas, notes, calendars, and data reports for clients.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly - including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 3-5 years experience, including 3+ years of organizing experience that includes direct organizing (e.g. doing 1:1s, coaching volunteers, field canvassing) and using digital tools to engage and mobilize supporters.
- Project management experience holding a variety of stakeholders accountable for important deadlines and materials.
- Experience drafting copy for and/or implementing digital strategies (e.g. email, peer-to-peer texting, broadcast SMS, social, advertising) that drive results online, in the field, and with the media.
- Understanding of messaging best practices for organizing across channels (SMS, email, paid and organic social, websites, phonebanks, on the doors).
- Capability to crunch numbers using spreadsheets and the ability to interpret organizing and digital metrics and translate them into key takeaways.
- Demonstrated ability to run meetings to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively - soliciting ideas, seeing each other's perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience organizing with marginalized communities utilizing a strong equity lens and nuanced understanding of power dynamics.
- Have worked in an agency setting or at another consulting firm.
- Experience working on electoral and/or voter turnout campaigns.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
- This is an exempt, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. The salary for this position is $73,000. As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. Successful staff at M+R have regular opportunities for promotion with accompanying increases in compensation.
- We also offer a generous benefits package:
- Three weeks vacation as well as 15 paid sick days and three personal days;
- Medical benefits with premiums covered by M+R at 100%, and dental and vision benefits with a small employee contribution;
- 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match and quarterly 1.5% employer profit-sharing contributions;
- Flexible work schedules and the option to work remotely within the United States;
- Annual $1,000 professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working-from-home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
The Fine Print
Due to COVID, our offices are currently closed. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees, and will not reopen our offices until it is safe to do so. When M+R reopens its offices, staff will have the option to be fully remote, or work from one of the following M+R offices:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
Staff working from an M+R office are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and all staff will be asked to provide information regarding their vaccine status.
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.