Associate Media Director, Advertising
DC, BOS, OAK, LA, NYC /
We’re looking for an Associate Media Director with 5-7 years experience leading digital advertising strategy and media planning for clients in an agency setting.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run advertising campaigns that create change for our clients. Great big ones you read about in the news and tiny ones you’ve never heard of that are saving lives. Lots of politically progressive groups – Planned Parenthood, League of Conservation Voters, PETA. Environmental groups such as NRDC and Oceana, and cultural organizations we love, like Sesame Workshop.
- Day-to-day, we’re raising revenue, acquiring new donors and supporters, winning campaigns and elections, and improving brand and issue recognition.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Develop smart digital advertising plans to meet fundraising, advocacy, and lead generation goals.
- Work with a team of media buyers and media planners to implement, manage and QA digital advertising campaigns across our clients. This includes display, video, mobile, SEM, and Facebook advertising.
- Provide guidance to graphic designers and client teams on effective creative and copy.
- Negotiate terms with advertising vendors, review and finalize contracts, approve invoices.
- Review and monitor media buys - digging in on performance and settings in multiple ad platforms to make recommendations for adjustments to optimize results.
- Evaluate digital advertising performance – review reports and produce analysis and recommendations on campaigns.
- Drive client strategy and advertising planning meetings. Confidently present ideas and results to clients.
- Research new advertising venues and stay abreast of online advertising trends; develop and maintain relationships with vendors and partners.
- Consistently use findings to inform best practices and train staff.
- Assign and review junior staff deliverables - providing feedback, coaching and guidance at every step.
- Be a visible and vocal presence by actively contributing to our organizational culture and building inclusive spaces within your teams and across M+R.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly - including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 5-7 years of digital advertising experience that includes leading digital advertising strategy and media planning for clients in an agency setting.
- Experience running integrated campaigns including programmatic display and video, social media, and search.
- In-depth understanding of how to optimize performance in digital platforms to meet client KPIs, including experience actually pulling the levers yourself.
- Experience developing effective ad creative for direct response.
- Ability to communicate persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise, whether on the phone, in-person, or in writing.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns.
- Demonstrated ability to craft meeting agendas to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively - soliciting ideas, seeing each other's perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
- This is an exempt, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. The salary is $83,000 with eligibility for an approximate $6,600 year-end bonus depending on start date and firmwide performance. We also offer a generous benefits package, plus some perks:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with quarterly employer contributions and an employer match;
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we're back open!). Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working from home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices are closed through at least June 2021. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees. We are closely monitoring the situation and have yet to determine when our offices will reopen. This position is not a permanent remote role and under normal circumstances, is located in any one of the following offices full-time:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
1275 East 6th St, Los Angeles, CA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.