Strategist, Online Advocacy and Fundraising
NYC, DC, BOS, Remote
Digital Fundraising & Advocacy
We’re looking for an ace Strategist to come work for one of the best firms in the do-gooder business.
When you come work for us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is awesome. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
- A critical, fearless approach. Every day we say and do the things that must be said and done, even if it’s not always the easiest path.
- Creativity that just won’t quit. We want you to bring your whole self to work every day. Not just because it’s fun, but because the wildest idea just might be the thing that works.
So that’s us. Now, about the work…
- We run online advocacy and fundraising campaigns. Great big ones you read about in the news and tiny ones you’ve never heard of that are saving lives. Lots of politically progressive groups – Planned Parenthood, League of Conservation Voters, PETA, etc. Cultural organizations we love, like the Central Park Conservancy. And many causes that are working in the most dire situations in the world such as the American Red Cross and Oxfam America.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to recruit supporters, influence policy, raise money, hold corporations accountable, make the most of news moments, and leave no idea unconsidered that might engage regular people in the world around them.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Shape the whole online advocacy and fundraising program for each client. Engage non-profit constituents online using a variety of digital marketing strategies including: email marketing, social media, web marketing and website optimization.
- Create compelling content. Develop and write action alerts, fundraising appeals, website content and social media copy.
- Count everything. Devise testing plans and distill email, web, advertising and social campaign results into the important lessons that could change how a campaign performs.
- Maintain the client relationship. Stay in close contact with clients throughout the day via email and phone about all the big and little things going on, participate in weekly check-in calls and present at big strategy meetings. Think not just about what we’re doing for clients, but what more we should be doing for them.
- Run a strong team. Manage your teams up and down to make sure we’re giving the best possible service to our clients in an efficient way and by appropriately leveraging outside team resources such as our creative team, data analysts, web developers etc.
- Grow your people. Manage 2-3 staff, coaching them on their professional development, their overall workload, and their burgeoning skillsets. Devise new systems for our team to share knowledge, create new things, and grow as campaigners. Make the team better than you found it.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly - including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
Skills and experiences you should have:
- 7+ years experience in this field and have run a small dollar online program at a non-profit or electoral campaign or consulted on them at an agency;
- Deep understanding of the role digital plays in the campaigns of today and tomorrow, and can think across channels. You’ve developed and implemented email, social, and advertising strategies and know how it integrates with direct mail and telemarketing;
- Ability to hold a room…and a conference call. You’ve built consensus among a broad range of stakeholders, and you know when to push hard to point the ship in the right direction;
- Experience running projects, leading teams, and can evolve processes and systems that allow you and your teams to do the best possible work.
- Actually, deeply, want to be the best and up for what that entails (you know: fast-paced environment with lots of projects and many tight deadlines);
- Passion. You want to change the world. You are hopeful and helpful and ready to keep your boots on the ground and eye on the prize.
Salary, Benefits and Some Perks
- One of our core values as a firm is that we take care of each other. Every employee shares in our success and in our profits, and we offer a great salary and benefits package:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with employer match;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Professional development stipend;
- There IS such a thing as free lunch here – on Fridays!
- Weekly brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of non-traditional benefits depending on which office you’re in. Records and record players. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap.
The fine print
This position can be either remote or located in any of the following M+R offices:
• 11 Park Place, New York, NY
• 1101 Connecticut Avenue NW, Washington, DC
• 262 Washington St, Boston, MA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please. M+R will only contact candidates to schedule an interview.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We love, respect, and welcome you!
M+R is 140 smart people who help nonprofits achieve real, lasting change. We mobilize supporters, raise money, and move the media, the public, and decision-makers. We only work with clients we believe in. We take risks. We work hard. We’re leaders, we’re organizers, and we don’t stop until we win.